Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi yeah Connie, was really great hearing about what got you interested in ham radio

Although poor wee putty cat ahhh

Just thinking if your using a dipole, hope your using the right dogbones hehee

Sorry couldn't resist it

Have tried Morse but it's just not for me, my sister Grace is good at it

Hopefully some day we can talk on the air Summer.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

We did have to protect the cat from getting wedged in narrow places.

Their whiskers help the cat determine they can wiggle through a narrow place.

I was so determined to get a crystal radio set, when I got a book about growing crystals and crystal growth I grew some single crystals described in the book. I had read about piezoelectric effect (5th grade elementary school) but I didn't see how I could get a crystal radio set with the crystals I had.

I wrote to the author, who worked at Bell Laboratories. He sent me a photo of a huge crystal.

I thought, maybe this is not going to work out for me.

The Puget Sound Navy Shipyard surplus sales encouraged me at bit, however the stuff set aside for me did not lend itself to a radio concept I could figure out. I got a nice design for an oscilloscope out of it. I asked if I could get in metal shop (high school) to make the required hole in the sheet metal. The answer was, No.

Me?

I wanted DX.

The saga continued. Morse Code was required for the General Class license.

In point of fact, when I did find out about availability of exams it was Morse Code that kept me back.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. M3ENF

M3ENF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My Dad :) Was actually a shortwave listener at first, Dad gave me a little SW radio in 1990 so I was listening to broadcast stations. It wasn't until 2003 when I'd upgraded the radio and suddenly had that SSB option and stumbled across two hams talking on what I now know is 40m that I discovered ham radio. Looked up how to get a ticket and so we both did.

K0DD likes this.
  4. KA7GFY

KA7GFY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was 42 years ago. can't believe it has been that long. my husband got his novice ticket while we were stationed in Maryland. He was out in the field and I found an add in the paper about a novice class that was being offered so I took it while he was out in the field. Didn't tell him that I took it and when I got my novice ticket from FCC he was surprised. It was fun to have the ability to talk while we were in Korea I got a temporary call sign there HL9PWN then when we went to Germany got a reciprocal license there. I just got my general ticket in February and am study now to get my extra. DH got his a couple of months ago. I am thinking about getting a 5 land call and giving up my 7 land call of KA7GFY that i have had since novice days.

5. M7NYH

M7NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

an itch i wanted to scratch and the lockdown provided an opportunity to do the online studyand exam that we've now got in the UK

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

and, if you want 18000 views for your thread , use the letters, g,i,r,l,s... in it...
    can be about anything else after that...

M7NYH likes this.
  7. KN6GST

KN6GST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

irony, when I first saw this thread months ago, I wasn't thinking too much about it, but I am now revisiting it. I think to myself, why? well, its not foreign to me and I remember it quite a bit over 45 years ago, however, my new question that probably would have the same answers to this thread is "why are you leaving ham radio?"

I could almost apply the same answers to both questions now. (why did you start and why did you leave?) I won't go into the answers to all of the questions here, but just know, that sometimes the same thing that draws you into a hobby can be what ends up replelling you. That goes for EVERY hobby. So, I wont go into details here but I will keep my radios for emergencies, because there are still relevant and valid operations for emergencies and I would encourage all women, men and children to get involved at some level.
    thanks for the post btw.

8. W5QLT

W5QLT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello from Deep East Texas!
    My OM has been into radio since his teens.
    When we moved onto 25 acres in the Davy Crockett National Forest, he started encouraging me to get my licenses.
    I've helped him put stuff together since we moved here and got more interested in the science of it all.
    It's become a hobby we enjoy doing together (and separately).

Last year I began working toward getting my licenses.
    I got my Tech license in June of 2019 few weeks later I passed the General exam.
    This past February (2020) I passed the Extra exam one week before the COVID shutdown!
    I am also an ARRL VE and a member of the Houston County Amateur Radio Club.

Lisa

DJ0AJ, KF5KWO and KI5JJL like this.
  9. KI5JJL

KI5JJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lisa, and other YLs.

Complete newb here - just got my tech license in June 2020.

I was inspired to get my license after chatting with a good friend about measures we are taking for survival in this current climate. I have always had a fascination with radio and used CB extensively in the 80s, in the UK, where I am from. My brother took it further into amateur radio when I was getting interested in guys, motorcycles and being a rebel... Fast forward 35 years, and the interest was renewed for me.

It was a pleasant surprise to discover that it was very accessible to get a licence - even during the pandemic. I was one of the first in Houston, TX to take the online test. I have a HT, which I have not NOT been able to get any contact on. I also have a 2m mobile unit to install in my Jeep.

Lisa - the reason I quoted you is because you are a member of HCARC. I really want to connect with local YLs to learn more. If you are able to point me toward how to get started in that direction, I would be very grateful!

Lynda

KF5KWO likes this.
  10. PD0YL

PD0YL Ham Member QRZ Page

My radio passion starts somewhere in the 70s last century. First listened a lot d to police radio. At school we also had a radio station, although I don't remember the callsign. In the eighties I came into contact with CB. I had a lot of nice years on the CB. But I wanted more so decided to go for my lincens in 2013. That was a bit too soon to be cheered. I then dropped out with the teaching material. In 2019 I went for it again and then passed in March 2020 and I am now proud YL with the call PD0YL.Afterwards I I should have just passed by now, but as a 56 year old if you still succeed. Nobody takes it from me anymore. Also because many said you will never succeed, but see PD0YL is a fact

DJ0AJ, W9RLG and N0TZU like this.