Hermes Lite 2 QRP SDR

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by N6YWU, Sep 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hermes Lite 2 is a network-connected QRP HF direct-sampling SDR transceiver. It’s supported by multiple software SDR apps (for Linux, Mac, Windows, Raspian, Android, and even iOS). See: http://www.hermeslite.com

Has anyone using one found any downside due to the (only) 12-bit ADC ? (My current antenna site has too high a noise floor to do a good on-the-air comparison against receivers which have a higher sampling depth.)

Also, I’m developing a simplified iPhone SDR app to run the Hermes Lite 2 transceiver. This will allow using the HL2 transceiver for portable/SOTA type ops without having to carry a PC (just an iPhone or iPad, plus an ethernet dongle). I estimate that a good percentage of hikers carry an iPhone with them already, so no additional weight should be needed for an SDR radio front panel. If anyone has an iOS + Hermes combo, email me if you want to be put on Apple’s testflight list for beta testing my app.

2. K9AQ

K9AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Hermes Lite 2 and an Elecraft K3 and alternate back and forth between them. I have not seen any downside to the 12 bit ADC. The HL2 works very well and I can hear any thing on it that I can hear on my K3. I actually prefer the HL2 over the K3. I am using PowerSDR and the Pure Signal works really well to reduce amplifier IMD.

Don K9AQ