Here's your chance: the ultimate "prepper home" !!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Escape hatch under a doghouse?

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be cool equipped with Get Smart style entrance corridor.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I lived in Coronado, CA for 10 years. Within a couple of miles of me were: Naval Air Station North Island; Naval Amphibious Base; Naval Special Warfare School (BUDS/SEALS); Naval Radio Receiver Site (now closed) and just a bit further: Naval Submarine Base Ballast Point; Marine Corps Recruit Depot-San Diego. Always felt like I lived in the eye of the Russian's gun sight. Then with the cold war declining we actually got visited by 3 Russian Navy ships one of which I got to board and tour. It was explained that the moment we stepped foot on the ship we were "in Russia".....thought about asking for a temporary UA callsign but didn't have the guts to ask our very pretty female Russian sailor/tourguide....who spoke pretty darn good English I might add. :)

A year later the Russians visited again, this time flying in 3 of their aircraft to Brown Field near the US/Mexico border. Got to tour what at the time was the world's largest aircraft (an Antonov something if I recall). No pretty tourguide this time, just some very large dude named Boris

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent many, MANY days and night on alert at a Titan II complex (of the 308th SMW in Arkansas) in the 70s as a SAC Missile Combat Crew Member. I'll be very happy never to set foot on one of the complexes again (never had a yen to visit the Titan Missile Museum restored site at DM)… ;)

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  5. W4NNF

It was very effective on the ham bands. That's what I hear, anyway. Not that I ever did that with the antenna, the KWM-2, and the amp in the Control Center. :D

6. W4NNF

While I really would prefer to forget those long days and nights on alert, I did save a few patches and other mementoes. :)

C.jpg

7. N7AHE

N7AHE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave- You could look into one of the Titan I silos in Moses Lake, WA as a vacation home fixer-upper.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Knowing that my friend in Arkansas has spent over ONE MILLION bucks in 4 years on his silo, to bring it to code as habitable, I think I'll pass :D:D

He's loaded - I'm not so much

Dave
    W7UUU

N7AHE likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you need to be loaded to want to live in an old silo for that kind of money. Free plus renovations seems a lot too. Maybe if I was allowed to launch AMSATs or something..... naw.

I'll take the flash and a sunburn over living through something so completely detrimental to my day.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W7OTL

W7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the missile silo is still there. as I recall all the Titan II silos where dynamited in according to some treaty. I think all you get with this property is the power house and the control bunker. The silo is gone.