Here's why I rejoined the ARRL.....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Jan 14, 2021 at 5:11 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I left the ARRL several years ago when I felt we had philosophical differences. I always said I hoped that they would right the ship....but on the outside looking in, it's really hard to tell what's going on in Newington. So to start the year off right, I wrote an email to the SC section manager and assistant section manager and asked, "What has changed at the ARRL? Why should I consider rejoining?". Marc Tarplee, @N4UFP made a compelling case that was hard to dispute. I rejoined. Time will tell.

My advise to him was to reach out to other members who have left the ranks of the league in the last several years and make the same case for membership that he made for me. If you are like me and left over the last 4 or 5 years, I'd say reach out and ask your section manager the same questions. Let him or her make a case for membership. You might be surprised at what you learn.

upload_2021-1-14_0-11-34.png

N4FZ, KE0GXN, K8PG and 7 others like this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I left when I was out of ham radio for decades. I got back in for QST. I'm still in for QST.

N4FZ, KA4DPO and N2SUB like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I renew every three years.:)

4. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

If the ARRL has a compelling case to support $50/year membership, they should be clever enough to publish it for everyone to see. So far I haven't seen it. Their website is largely a recitation of why I quit, not why I should join.

Radio amateurs are good, smart people and there's a reason why most of them are not ARRL members.

K0UO, WD4IGX, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  5. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, $4.16 / month is just too much for an ARRL membership.:rolleyes:

KE0GXN, K8PG and WB3EYB like this.
  6. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't your use of LOTW worth the $50 a year?

upload_2021-1-14_7-44-21.png

KE0GXN, W3ATV, KG5THG and 2 others like this.
  7. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

I re-joined so I could get my awards.

KA2FIR and K8PG like this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tradition!.jpg

One word, Tradition!

KA2FIR, WQ4G, K8PG and 2 others like this.
  9. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not real crazy about an organization that seems to have turned more towards who is right and away from what is right.

ND6M likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too. That's why I sent the email. I figured I'd give them one last shot....I really wasn't expecting much. Your section folks are volunteers and probably do not have the time to sit and write to every non-member in your section. They most likely DO have the time to respond to emails like mine. Reach out and see. SC may be different than TN. Many people are new up the chain, and I'm willing to give the new guard a chance. Your experiences are different than mine, so you'll have to make your own determination as to the merits of membership.

PY2RAF likes this.