ad: elecraft

Here We Go Again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6SSN, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wa9svd @ Oct. 02 2002,14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Tom,

I'll be aboard the Queen Mary (W6RO) Saturday Morning looking for you!  (Maybe even call a few minutes before your "Officail" start&#33[​IMG]  I'll also try Friday from home.  I'm sure we will make contact this time!  Conditions are much better han they were last time around.
    Larry WA9SVD[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hi Larry,

I will be operating on Friday and Ken will be at the Con on Saturday! Either way don't let us miss you this time! I want that W6RO card for our Ham Shack badly! [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Met some of you a few weeks ago during a Saturday tour. Am very proud as a ham that the group is trying to get the original gear working once again. I also have a friend that was part of getting the Hornet instituted as a museum at Alameda NAS, his name is Howard (Howy) Backus. The best of luck to all and 73's

kq6mr
    Mark

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Oct. 02 2002,09:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,04[​IMG]4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have this list of some 400 IRLP nodes but don't see one in San Fransisco that I could contact you guys with. Dose SF have a node in place yet?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I haven't a clue! IRLP is computer technology. Our club focuses on Radio! Perhaps there's an IRLP user group somewhere that can help you out. If you have a USS Hornet related question, please let me know.

73[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm going to sit up all night applauding! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now if you just had some CW frequencies!! But hey, being in "wadio" is fine with me!

Ed

4. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kq6mr @ Oct. 02 2002,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Met some of you a few weeks ago during a Saturday tour.  Am very proud as a ham that the group is trying to get the original gear working once again.  I also have a friend that was part of getting the Hornet instituted as a museum at Alameda NAS, his name is Howard (Howy) Backus.  The best of luck to all and 73's

kq6mr
    Mark[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thank you for your sentiment! We are working hard to make this a reality! It's a tough and long struggle! I hope you enjoyed your tour. The little event you witnessed has now migrated to our "New" Radio Room! We haven't begun to near completion on that space yet, but we can now at least operate from there! The next time you come aboard, let us know you're there and you can sit down and operate for awhile!

5. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5HTW @ Oct. 02 2002,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb6ssn @ Oct. 02 2002,09:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,04<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have this list of some 400 IRLP nodes but don't see one in San Fransisco that I could contact you guys with. Dose SF have a node in place yet?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I haven't a clue! IRLP is computer technology. Our club focuses on Radio! Perhaps there's an IRLP user group somewhere that can help you out. If you have a USS Hornet related question, please let me know.

73[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm going to sit up all night applauding!   Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now if you just had some CW frequencies!!  But hey, being in "wadio" is fine with me!

Ed[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We will start operating CW as soon as we get the "New" Radio Room completed! And unfortunately, that's still some time off! We have many avid CW fans in our ranks! Including one gentleman in Idaho who is chomping at the bit to fly down here and work all of you on CW! At this point we have only one radio available for operation! So, SSB is currently the mode of least resistance! [​IMG] Which reminds me! We can give a nice big fat full value tax deduction to anyone who has original US Navy CW Keys they may want to donate! Including Practice Bugs.

6. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG6IYD @ Oct. 03 2002,07:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The "R" in IRLP stands for Radio... It's just that the city I live in Has 5 of them (nodes) so that VHF stations can get around the world and not have be a slave to the conditions. And I was wondering if SF had one yet to contact the Hornet on as one is not listed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Unfortunately, we do not have VHF/UHF equipment available on the Hornet... there currently isn't a compatible antenna available for the higher frequency bands.

I will have my hand-held with me on Saturday and will be listening to node 506, which is in Sunnyvale.  This particular repeater MAY be reachable from the Hornet, but I can't guarantee anything.

The Hornet's club callsign is NB6GC.

Thanks & 73,
    Chad[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Way to go Chad! Another problem solved! (Chad was one of the very first hams to volunteer for our project and join our club! He is a great asset&#33[​IMG] Perhaps we can send you up on the O-9 Deck to get better propogation! I think you can actually see Sunnyvale from there! Perhaps you can list the day and times that you might attempt this!

N0ASS, there you go! An attempt will be made to contact you and others using that node. Good luck and I look forward to observing Chad work you!

7. n0ass

n0ass Guest

Thanks guys! I'll spread the word about the node on the VHF machines here in Phoenix. You Hornet guys are the greatest!

8. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 03 2002,11:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks guys! I'll spread the word about the node on the VHF machines here in Phoenix. You Hornet guys are the greatest![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, apparently we are having some trouble raising that node! I personally watched Chad try to raise it several times today. From a location where we can actually see all the way down the bay! Can anyone confirm it's operational staus? Chad tells me that he will try again tomorrow! I hope it works out!

9. AD5LT

AD5LT Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The "R" in IRLP stands for Radio... It's just that the city I live in Has 5 of them (nodes) so that VHF stations can get around the world and not have be a slave to the conditions. And I was wondering if SF had one yet to contact the Hornet on as one is not listed. My question was Hornet related. 54% of licensed Hams today are Techs on VHF/UHF. Not having a node in place, you are cutting off more than half of the licensed Hams to your event. But it's your event, not mine, Good luck and best of wishes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Make a long story short I moniterd NB6GC calling frequencies starting at 9:eek:oam friday to figure which frequencies would be my best bet for a Satuarday qso with NB6GC. After carefull considerations and 30 feet of #12 wire and 18 feet of rg58 coax I figured 21.320 calling frequency for NB6GC would be my best best for a contact at my qth about 1:eek:opm Calif. time. Cut the wire loaded up the rig FT101ee into my dipole at 12 feet, this is the highest I could get it due to surrounding supports 1:12pm California time made contact with NB6GC, AD5LT your 5/7 he was 5/9. Thankyou Chad for the qso look forward to getting your QSO package. Antenna pros you can figure what my nodes were by the above info, but I dont care I made contact by my preferred mode.
    Tom AD5LT
    P.s. I worked a year at N0MET mCAS El TORo home of the The Flying Bulls , and it was my pleasure to meet all involved in making the phone patches to home.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,
    Mission accomplished! Contact between NB6GC aboard the U.S.S. Hornet and W6ROaboard the Queen Mary made on two bands Friday morning. You and Chad were causing quite some pile ups. I could the other end of your work on 10 Meters Friday afternoon. I'm not sure I would have been able to log that fast!
    Good luck and I'll catch you from home next event. Keep up the good work.
    Larry WA9SVD

11. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all who put the Hornet on the air, what a blast. I did get to work the station and will be sending the $7.50 for all the great items you mentioned on the air. This is one of the things that makes Ham Radio so much fun, and getting to "touch" a part of our history with the great ships. Thanks for the contact Chad and crew of NB6GC. I enjoyed listening to you all day. One extra note: Thanks for taking the time to chat for a moment in the midst of all the contacts. My wife even thought it was terrific that you took a moment to actually talk for a minute instead of rapid fire contacts with only signal strength and acknowledgement. GREAT JOB!!!!! I am looking forward to sending a QSL for the Hornets wall. I sure hope they let you keep the cards on board.
    73' KE0VH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.