ad: chuckmartin

Here We Go Again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6SSN, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you missed us the last time, here's your chance to try again! The USS Hornet ARC will be celebrating Fleet Week in the San Francisco Bay Area on October 11th and 12th! We will be working 7.240, 14.320, 21.320 and 28.320 depending on propagation. Plus or minus QRM/QRN of course. Our hours of operation will be from approx. 9AM to 4PM Pacific. Also, we will be on the air October 20th for the Boy Scouts JOTA (Jamboree On The Air) This will be a unique opportunity to work Boy Scouts operating from the Hornet! The hours of operation and the frequencies will be the same as above. So please listen for NB6GC on these dates and times. We look forward to working you!

2. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD5RNN @ Oct. 01 2002,18:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am so glad you guys decided to come back on the air for Fleet week. I was wanting to work you back when  the USS Hornet was on the air earlier. All I have is a Transmitter for 10m SSB/AM/FM. and the last time I could not hear ya'll on 10m at 28.320 USB. I am glad i get a second chance and I sure hope propagation is as good as it was a few days agoe between us!!

73's and good luck
    N5EIL , Neil[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I will be Control Operator on the 11th of October. I will make a special point of working 10 Meters this time. Last time we got so caught up in the pileup on 15 meters that we never made it up there! (See our report in the last Special Event announcement.) I have written down your call and I will listen specifically for you! If the Lords willing and the creek don't rise, we may make it through! LOL! 73

Tom Hale
    KB6SSN
    President Pro-Tem
    USS Hornet ARC

3. n0ass

n0ass Guest

I have this list of some 400 IRLP nodes but don't see one in San Fransisco that I could contact you guys with. Dose SF have a node in place yet?

4. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking forward to your event too. I am really excited when I see the ships on the air. All I have had the opportunity to work so far is the Battleship New Jersey, and I could make a career out of collecting all the QSL's!! Thanks for putting the USS Hornet on the air for all of us with the interest.

73' I'll be looking! KE0VH www.geocities.com/ke0vh

5. WD8BIL

WD8BIL Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW !! This'll be great !!! I'll even work ya listening on a Model RCH Navy Receiver circa 1945.
    Oh... and don't worry about hte creek rising. You're on an Air Craft Carrier , for heaven's sake !!!!

Bud WD8BIL
    RCH Receiver

6. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,04:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have this list of some 400 IRLP nodes but don't see one in San Fransisco that I could contact you guys with. Dose SF have a node in place yet?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I haven't a clue! IRLP is computer technology. Our club focuses on Radio! Perhaps there's an IRLP user group somewhere that can help you out. If you have a USS Hornet related question, please let me know.

7. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke0vh @ Oct. 02 2002,06:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am looking forward to your event too.  I am really excited when I see the ships on the air.  All I have had the opportunity to work so far is the Battleship New Jersey, and I could make a career out of collecting all the QSL's!!  Thanks for putting the USS Hornet on the air for all of us with the interest.

73' I'll be looking!  KE0VH www.geocities.com/ke0vh[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And we're really excited to be doing it! I look forward to working you! Also, there's no reason to bemoan having only worked the USS New Jersey! BB68 is a fine ship with a great crew! I only hope that someday our group will be as well run as theirs! They were also my first military ship contact! And they truly enjoy and appreciate each and every contact they make! A true class act! We'll see you on the airwaves!

8. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wd8bil @ Oct. 02 2002,08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW !! This'll be great !!! I'll even work ya listening on a Model RCH Navy Receiver circa 1945.
    Oh... and don't worry about hte creek rising. You're on an Air Craft Carrier , for heaven's sake !!!!

Bud WD8BIL
    RCH Receiver[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LOL!!!!! HIHIHI!!!!! Yes, indeed we are on 56,000 tons of mean, lean fighting machine! It would have to be one heck of a creek to worry us! [​IMG] But, if you'll recall, old Bull Halsey took this ship through a Typhoon and messed up the forward flight deck pretty badly!

9. KF6MYV

KF6MYV Ham Member QRZ Page

So this is something new to me. Will you be using the radio equipment that was used on the ship or is it something else?

10. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kf6myv @ Oct. 02 2002,10:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So this is something new to me. Will you be using the radio equipment that was used on the ship or is it something else?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not at this time. We are in the process of obtaining era correct replacement pieces for the original radio spaces. This is a very long term project that will not come to fruition for some time! The original radios are so badly demilled that repair and restoration is going to take years! So, we are looking for replacements in the interim! If anyone has working R-390a's or R-1051's they'd like to donate, we'll be glad to give you full market value on your tax receipt as the donation is fully tax deductible! In the mean time we will be using modern commercial equipment. Thanks for asking and we look forward to working you!

11. KC0ADP

KC0ADP Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be looking for ya!
    If memory serves me correctly, dad was on board the Hornet during Korea as a radio man. He's licensed also and will make sure he gets the info on your!

KC0ADP

12. n0ass

n0ass Guest

The "R" in IRLP stands for Radio... It's just that the city I live in Has 5 of them (nodes) so that VHF stations can get around the world and not have be a slave to the conditions. And I was wondering if SF had one yet to contact the Hornet on as one is not listed. My question was Hornet related. 54% of licensed Hams today are Techs on VHF/UHF. Not having a node in place, you are cutting off more than half of the licensed Hams to your event. But it's your event, not mine, Good luck and best of wishes.

13. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,

I'll be aboard the Queen Mary (W6RO) Saturday Morning looking for you! (Maybe even call a few minutes before your "Officail" start&#33[​IMG] I'll also try Friday from home. I'm sure we will make contact this time! Conditions are much better han they were last time around.
    Larry WA9SVD

14. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc0adp @ Oct. 02 2002,13:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Will be looking for ya!  
    If memory serves me correctly, dad was on board the Hornet during Korea as a radio man.  He's licensed also and will make sure he gets the info on your!

KC0ADP[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We will be looking for both you and your Dad! It will be great to work a former Radioman from Hornet! Be sure that he identifies himself as such when he contacts us so that we can give him the proper HOOPLA! [​IMG]

15. KB6SSN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0ass @ Oct. 02 2002,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The "R" in IRLP stands for Radio... It's just that the city I live in Has 5 of them (nodes) so that VHF stations can get around the world and not have be a slave to the conditions. And I was wondering if SF had one yet to contact the Hornet on as one is not listed. My question was Hornet related. 54% of licensed Hams today are Techs on VHF/UHF. Not having a node in place, you are cutting off more than half of the licensed Hams to your event. But it's your event, not mine, Good luck and best of wishes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It was not my intention to disparage your chosen form of operation! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor! But what you refer to as being a slave to the conditions, we refer to as the excitement of the hobby! As soon as we get a VHF/UHF radio on board we will be happy to announce it and include it in our events! This will most likely be a 220 radio to start with as we feel that that band is seriously under utilized! If you ever upgrade we'll be there for you to contact on the HF bands as well! Good luck and thank you for your interest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.