here is a cross country question ... (USA)

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ6FDO, May 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ6NWU

KJ6NWU Ham Member QRZ Page

In case of emergency, cell phone is your best bet. After that, a 2M radio that scans. You can probably raise someone on the CB, but I know some states no longer monitor Ch9. When all else fails, sit in a lawn chair behind your stranded vehicle. Someone will stop. If that doesn't work, you might as well try 6M.

2. KB0OU

KB0OU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

52.525 FM Simplex

3. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

for populated area like East half of US. Cell phone is best emergency comm. Verizon and ATT have good coverage.

even in rural West , most of Interstate highway have good cell phone ( Verizon, ATT ) coverage. so they are best for emergency use.

You may find friend who use Verizon cell phone, and many of them get new phone periodically, and ask for old one. Because non-active cell phone can able to make 911.
    I have old voice only NON-active ATT phone, which was given to me from co-worker.

I drive Interstate 15 through Utah , almost all of I-15 in Utah have ATT cell phone coverage.

for 144 MHz FM, there are many repeaters and linked repeaters which I can access, but most of the time, those repeaters are not being used. so I am not sure it is good method for emergency. Some repeaters have phone patch , which can dial 911, but need to become member of repeater club to get such information.

CB radio channel 19 is only useful, when traffic is jammed or bad weather such as snow storm. truck driver talk to each others where ( mile marker ) is the accidents so on, so it is good method to find out traffic ahead.

however, Google Map with Traffic enabled is best way to find up to date traffic condition on Interstate highway.

If there are traffic information missing in section of well traveled highway like I-15, that is where most likely No cell phone coverage.

146.520 MHz is last choice. There is not too many Ham Radio operators in rural area, and often they do not monitor 146.520 MHz.

I also heard good quality cell phone signal booster increase range of cell phone significantly.

Globalstar has $39 / month plan. Iridium have $49 / month plan, good if it used just for emergency.