ad: Mountaingoat-1

Here comes the CME - 6m opening expected Sep. 6. 1800 UTC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Sep 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just moved from CN88 (WWA) to DN28 (Kalispell, MT), just got the tower & antenna finished yesterday. Monitoring 50.125. Come on, baby, whoooo!!!

VE7DXW likes this.
  2. K5NHR

K5NHR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well I call CQ, nothing. K5NHR

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

knocked out hf from EU to USA this morning.
    [​IMG]

VE7DXW likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought CMEs were bad for radio?

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two things that happen with CMEs. First you get a X-Ray burst which attenuates the lower bands. At the same time the additional radiation energy can build up the higher layers and you get sporadic E. So if the attenuating D-Layer only affects bands below 28MHz and the sporadic E reflective layer is strong enough to reflect radio waves the 10m band opens up.

As a second issue is a few days later when the actual mass and particles from the sun reaches earth. Depending on where and how strong the impact of these particles is we get a geomagnetic storm, which again can be good for propagation and bad.

The process on the over the horizon propagation is very complicated and it involves lot of difficult to measure variables. There is no magic bullet that can precisely predict the outcome. Very similar to the weather forecast.

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting.... it will also be interesting to see what happens to the low bands tonight once we rotate into darkness. I'm sure all that extra energy deposited during the day will cause something to be different from last night. :cool:

VE7DXW likes this.
  7. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just cut and tuned my first 15 meter dipole. Lot of DX traffic out there as I write this. Great fun.

8. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

You are a very positive person. I like that! But none of us Oregonians are going to do anything because we're all succumbing to smoke inhalation. (cough) (cough)

Even my dog sounds like she's smoked a carton of Pall Malls at this point! :eek:

K3ILC, VE7DXW, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening on 50.125 , I'm not hearing any activity here in CM99 but, 14.020 sounds better than yesterday.

VE7DXW likes this.
  10. VE7DXW

Well it looks like the X-Ray flare has attenuated the opening that we predicted.
    Stay tuned for the CME that is going to hit earth in a few days, which was caused by this last explosion.

11. W7LQB

W7LQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just note that it is NOT due to lack of funds for the US Forest Service -- this is the POLICY they have chosen. They CHOOSE to not put out these fires.
    73's Matt

12. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6 Meter auroral contact:

Attached Files:

VE7DXW likes this.
  13. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Zip for 6m or 2m aurora in Minnesota tonight... but the X9 flare should hit for the weekend.

VE7DXW likes this.
  14. VE7DXW

There is a new CME - this time form the X9 flare that happened today. This one looks almost scary!

Alex

[​IMG]

N6ALT likes this.
  15. VE7DXW

Hi Everyone;

This took a long time but the CME has arrived at earth.

The NOAA just released the warning that the Geomagnetic K index is going to reach 7. K index refers to the way the magnetic field deforms and shatters during the onslaught of the protons from the sun.

K = 7 is usually bad for propagation!

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 7
    Threshold Reached: 2017 Sep 07 2325 UTC
    Synoptic Period: 2100-2400 UTC
    Active Warning: Yes

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW