ad: portazero-1

Herb The Weatherman VE3LML

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KHZ, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8KHZ

K8KHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tonight I was watching ABC news and seen a clip on Herb the weatherman. as I look closely I see the Heil Headset and they mention this is his hobby. He uses his HF rig to give out weather to ships abroad in the Seas of the World. He predicts the weather of the ocean and gives ships routes. He is perhaps by note of some experts the one person to count on to get the best predictions. So I would like to say thank you Herb for your time. To see the clip click below.thank you I used realplayerOne to view it. download it at real.com.

Sean-K8KHZ

Herb's News Clip

2. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting article and audio/vidio clip.  I couldn't catch the call he used but it isn't amateur and 12.359 Mhz. isn't a ham frequency. Wonder if he is a ham?  Sounds like he would be a good one.

3. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

Yes, Herb the Weatherman is a ham - VE3LML. Look up his call here and there's a link to his webpage. That will answer many questions about his HF operations on maritime frequencies.

Chris

4. N4DIA

N4DIA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. N9AS

N9AS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sean,

What a wonderful world of ham radio. I too know Herb and have used his help in the past at sea.

Yes, Heil microphone is the Golden voice supporter of choice for most of us.

thanks 73,

N9AS 260

6. VE9KAR

VE9KAR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a sailor and a very new Ham (3Weeks), I know of Herb by reputation, His service is known throughout the offshore sailing world as second to none.Any knowledgable sailor going offshore to Bermuda, or Carribean will no doubt make use of this valuable service. I hope to make a crossing from Eastern Canada to Bermuda in 2 years time, and hope that Herb is still on the air when I go.
    Kent
    ve9kar

7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our local weatherman on CCN TV Channel 6 in TT was/is a ham.  His name is Eric Mackie and his callsign is 9Z4CP.  He's basically an amateur meteorologist who has been around the marine (boater) community for a long while.  He gives weather reports on the Antilles (Caribbean) Emergency and Weather Net on 3.815 MHz at 10:30 and 22:30UTC every day.  Alot of people like the way he does the weather on TV... I think he's pretty good, and most of the TT public agrees with me.

Among other things, Eric has helped Captain David Clark with his marine and radio stuff when he was in Trinidad, and also aided in the rescue of the ham who was attacked by pirates awhile back.

By the way, I mean real pirates, not radio pirates, as the ham who was attacked was also a boater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.