ad: ProAudio-1

Herb Schoenbaum KV4FZ

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W0PV, May 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

"There is an "international gentlemen's agreement" that people don't talk politics or religion over ham radio."

For the ARRL is it fair game in print?

I have this feeling that the ARRL is becoming more left leaning. I pointed out controvery regarding an ARRL VE to them and they ignored the facts deciding not to even respond.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    W0AQ, KA1YBS, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. That's the KV4FZ that --I-- knew...a responsible guy who helped others.

N4FZ, W4HM, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please: enough on the nets.

The VM's handle that now. Let's leave the past issues in the past. Many people here don't even know what 'Jones Town' was...(but should).

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    N4FZ, K8BZ, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  4. N9EEE

N9EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

John, W0PV, thank you for posting the obit and your comments. I occasionally read The St. Croix Source during hurricane season and missed that notice. I would like to add to your kind comments about Herb.

Herb worked for me as our Chief Engineer, WIVI-FM 99.1 St Croix, while I was Operations Manager at the station from 1978-1981. He was also the chief for WSTX St Croix, and WVWI St Thomas, and would occasionally help other broadcasters, often cobbling together whatever he could from his parts bins to temporarily keep us on the air until we could get OEM parts. With my direction, he upgraded our on-air studio console, installed a secondary live studio, created an RFI-free production studio, installed new audio processing equipment, and was in the beginning stages of a remote studio located safely inland.

During Hurricanes David and Fredrick (pre-cell phone, pre-internet, pre-repeater) he provided civil defense feeds to me to air and inform our audience in the US and British Virgin Islands, and we collaborated on weather reports and teaching our audience how to track hurricanes and prepare for tidal surges and inland flooding.

I had previously been licensed as a ham, but commercial radio usurped my interest at that time until I met Herb, and Fredrick. Though it wasn't until years later that I renewed personal interest in the hobby, the value of having an active ham with inter-island radio communications wasn't lost on me as he was invaluable when providing news reports to our station.

Herb was very talented, very responsive, and had an intense concern for doing the right thing. He was a well-rounded communicator, engineer, and local figure with a respectable reputation. And that he played piano at the Buccaneer Hotel still amazes me for some unexplainable reason.

He, Monika, and I kept loosely in touch in the following years - I never did work him via ham radio - and his reputation remains respectable to me and others to this day. RIP and Final 73 SK

Dick
    N9EEE

N4FZ, W5WN, W1YW and 3 others like this.
  5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Herb on every HF band at one time or another. We first worked in 2/20/2000 on 160 CW.

I vouched for his character in writing to the FCC when he was trying to get his ticket back.To me Herb was a good guy and great CW operator.

RIP

N4FZ, KA2FIR and W1YW like this.
  6. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi herb sucses fully vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

K1LKP, N4FZ, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  7. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Herb is in my log 4 times, all on 6m & 160m CW. He will be missed. RIP Herb, SK OM, and THANKS for the QSOs.

W1YW and KA2FIR like this.
  8. DJ0AJ

THANK;S CARMEN for the the kind wishes - wish all the werry best -- ur long time friend--vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

9. DJ0AJ

K1LKP - THANK;S CARMEN vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

10. RN3OG

RN3OG Ham Member QRZ Page

very sorry Herb SK was of the contest on 160m thanks my friend you gave me a new country on this band... Eternal flight on the air

11. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Better to be controversial and remembered than meek and mild and forgotten.