Helps with my TS-830S Kenwood and the option to connect RX antenna on Xverter 8 Pin DIM

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by HK1X, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HK1X

HK1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Good afternoon Dr Srs
    I need your help I'm not a electronic master and I see on the TS-830 Schematics I can connect an RX antenna across xverter 8 pin connector.
    I need something explain how I can connect it with and external switch to commute both antenas RX/TX.
    if you can explain to me with excellent handwritten paper good, thanks
    I have all schematics I can provide it here.
    Many Many thanks for the explanation.
    Pedro
    HK1X

Attached Files:

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All you need is a matching 8 pin male DIN connector, a switch, a bit of wire to hook it up, a connector for the feed line coming from the dedicated receive antenna and some kind of electronic enclosure or panel to mount the switch and receive antenna connector.

Basically the key is that switch shown in the schematic (S19-1) is built into the female DIN connector in the TS-830S and gets switched into its alternative position (down) when you plug the male DIN plug into the jack.

Here's how you'd wire up an external switch to support using either the normal transmit antenna for receiving or the receive only antenna:

upload_2020-3-26_15-56-31.png

Again the key is that integrated connector switch S19-1. The normal transmit antenna is always connected to pin 8 of the female DIN connector and once a male DIN connector is plugged into the socket the TS-830's receiver is connected to pin 5 of the connector. If you want the rig to operate normally using the transmit antenna you connect pin 5 to pin 8 via the new external switch. If you want to use the dedicated receive antenna you connect the receive antenna to pin 5 using the external switch.

Does that make sense?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. HK1X

HK1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Many many thanks for your explanation Sr David
    2 questions

1.- I need move some cable into (S19-1)? Or on the contrary does it stay like this?
    2.- According to your explanation , I only have solder 2 cables, one from pin 5 and one from pin 8 to one antenna selection switch
    3.- is it a two position toggle switch? This has 3 points, in one I put the cable from pin 8, in the middle the cable from pin 5 and in the center the correct antenna?
    Its ok ??
    Many thanks again Sr Davis

Attached Files:

4. K7TRF

You need to solder some wires to an 8 pin male DIN connector and plug that into the DIN socket on the TS-830s. The connections to S19-1 are made as soon as you plug that connector in. You do not need to open up the rig and solder anything directly to S19-1.

There's actually 4 connections total:

- One from pin 8 of the new DIN plug to the new switch
    - One from pin 5 of the new DIN plug to the new switch
    - One from the new receive antenna connector to the new switch
    - One from the ground of the rig which can be from the ground (shell or pin 3 or pin 1) of the new DIN connector to the ground of the receive antenna connector. I didn't show the ground or coax shield connection in that diagram but you do have to provide a connection between the coax shield from the receive antenna to the ground of the rig.

The switch connections are:

- Pin 5 of the male DIN connector to the center pin on the switch
    - Pin 8 of the male DIN connector to one of the end pins on the switch
    - A wire from the center pin of the receive antenna connector to the other end pin on the switch

Here's an updated diagram with more detail:

upload_2020-3-26_16-38-32.png

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  5. HK1X

HK1X Ham Member QRZ Page

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sr David thanks for your time
    In Order
    1.- Im clear the connections
    2.- I understand that I must connect pin 3 of the DIM that is ground direct to th RX ground cable right?
    3.- The center of RX antenna to center of the switch right?

6. K7TRF

Yes, that will work.
    No, as posted previously and shown above pin 5 of the DIN connector should be connected to the center pin on the switch.

7. HK1X

HK1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Sr David you are a king
    Many thanks for your special and clear explanation.
    My best regards
    God Bless amigo
    Your welcome here
    Hk1X
    :)

8. K7TRF

A final thought.

If the connections between the DIN connector and the switch box are more than a couple of centimeters long I'd run light gauge coaxial cable (e.g. RG-316 or RG-174) from the DIN connector to the switch instead of just single insulated wires and ground all coax shields to the TS-830s chassis at the DIN connector and in the switch box.

9. HK1X

HK1X Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr David good morning, following your last step ... that is, I use that type of coax you recommended and connect DIN pin 5 with DIN pin 3 and take the switch box connect 5 and the GND to the box outside (the box is copper box) next connect DIN pin 8 with DIN pin 1 and the GND to the box outside and from the RX antenna I take the positive and take it to the switch and the GND of that coax of the rx antenna to PIN 3 or 1, do we agree?

10. K7TRF

If you mean:

- Connect pin 5 of the DIN to the coax center conductor and pin 3 to the coax shield and the the far end of that cable to the switch center pin and shield the the common box ground

- Connect pin 8 of the DIN connector to the coax center conductor and pin 3(0r pin 1 or the ground tab) and the other end of the cable center conductor to one end of the switch and coax shield to the common box ground

- Connect the center conductor of the coax from the receive antenna to the other end of the switch and the shield of the coax from the receive antenna to the box common ground

Then yes this is fine. In the end the important thing is:

- Connect the center conductor of each coaxial cable just as shown in the diagrams above
    - Make sure the coaxial shields are tied to the rig ground at the DIN connector end and to the common switch box ground at the switch box