Helpful RFI YouTube Video

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA3TVH, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3TVH

WA3TVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another interesting and helpful video!

WQ4G and KC5HWB like this.
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, how about a video on how to suppress RFI from power lines, street lights, neon signs, LED lighting, grow lights, electric motors and other 'external' sources of man made radio interference. Generally, the RFI at my QTH is not generated by devices in my own home. And, the RFI that IS generated by me (my own devices) does not affect much of anything at more than about 3 feet away. It's the neon sign, located a block away, and the poorly maintained power distribution equipment all around me that generates the majority of the RFI received at my QTH.

Or perhaps you could make a video on how to deal with people who flat out refuse to fix, or do not allow to be fixed, THEIR RFI generators. Nothing more egregious than a 50mV RFI signal generated by a neighbor (located a block or more away) who refuses to have the source fixed and who ignores the FCC Notices Of Violation (basically thumbing their nose at you AND the FCC).

RFI sources on your own property are relatively easy to fix. It's the ones that are located on other people's property that can be tough to address. IMO there should be SOME local codes and ordinances addressing RFI generators. The county I live in will become involved and issue citations if there is smoke, dust, nasty smells, light, noise, garbage, run off, crime, etc., etc., etc., drifting over onto your property from the neighbor's house. But, when their radio noise (RFI) interferes with your Ham Radio enjoyment their isn't much you can do about it.

I do not wish to have a political discussion here on the ZED. But, this IS what (certain) Tax Payers asked for. The Tax Payers DEMANDED reductions in the cost (and size) of the Government and the Government responded by getting rid of most the FCC's enforcement division.

Dan WQ4G

3. WA3TVH

4. WA3TVH

I feel your pain but the video addresses a real source of RFI that you can address. I have fought RFI from the power company for many years with some success but you should not have to do that in a perfect world that is.

5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you should not have to do that... But, there are a lot of operators who just accept RFI as a fact of life and do nothing to help their own situation.

RF can not be seen, smelled, or heard without special equipment. This results in a 'public' that is absolutely ignorant of the 'RF Pollution' that is being generated. If more of us would take a pro-active approach, tracking RFI sources down and reporting them, perhaps the public would become more aware.

But, maybe I am dreaming too much. There are a lot of people out there that simply pitch their garbage out the window of the car for someone else to pick up. How would one get THOSE people to care about something they can not see, smell, or hear....

Dan WQ4G