Help with setting up a straight key on an IC-718

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KB3TGX, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB3TGX

KB3TGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping someone can help me a bit....not sure if I am getting out.
    I have been learning CW for the past few days now...copying at around 4-5 WPM and decided its time to at least figure out how to wire up a key for when I get a bit more proficient.

I Have a 1/4 phono jack inserted in the key jack in back and for now just put some wire on it to a momentary switch to close the circuit (and make a tone) (this is purely to test the functionality so that when I get a real key I am ready to go)

I set the pitch to 600Hz and the tone volume up to around 70.
    When I close the switch I hear a tone through the speaker but I also continue to hear the background noise that I typically get while receving. (when I'm on SSB mode, keying up the mic silences the speaker while I'm tranmitting....in CW mode, hitting the 'key' doesnt do this)

Is something wrong or is this just the way it works?
    I wasnt sure what to expect since I've never done this before.
    I dont have another HF rig to see if I can recieve anything and dont have an oscilloscope to verify that there is an output waveform when I hit the 'key'.

Can someone confirm my setup?
    (I did check the sub-setup menu to confirm that in CW mode the TX indicator is lit)

Only thing I can think of is to make a SSB contact and ask them to switch over to CW mode for a minute and see if they can hear me...just figured I'd ask here before I go littering the air waves with my meager 4WPM:D

2. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the quick set mode set BK-IN to FL and see if that helps Page 42 in the manual

•​
    BK-IN

This item selects break-in type for CW operation. There are
    three selectable values:
    oFF: No break-in operation available (default).
    SE : Semi break-in operation available.​
    FL : Full break-in operation available

Todd
    AD7VB

3. KB3TGX

KB3TGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks...figured it out

Todd,

Thanks for your post. I wasnt sure what the break-in option did and the manual wasnt clear to me on its function. I just tried it out and its seems to do what I would expect it to do (the TX lights up when I key up)

I turned the power down to the lowest setting (I think 5W on this rig) and tapped out a CQ on a dead band just to see how it would work...seems to do what it should.

Thanks again for your help!

4. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're Welcome, went thru the same thing :)

Todd
    AD7VB

5. AB9NZ

AB9NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to operate with break in set to off. When I want to send I squeeze the mic switch and work the key. This way when you press the key without the mic switch you can put your tone over the other guy's received tone to zero beat him (important). At any time you can practice along with a qso you're listening to without transmitting. I wonder how guys zero-beat a signal when set up semi or full break in because the 718 doesn't have a spotting button. I hope to catch you on the air. 73 de Tom, AB9NZ http://radiotelegrapher.posterous.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.