Help with scanning a band in DXLab Commander

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KE0EYJ, Mar 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I greatly prefer HRD, but my Prolific chipset in my serial adapter has been giving me fits with HRD, so I am trying to use DXLabs Commander.

The problem is that I cannot find a way to set up a scanning range so that it searches the band from A to B for me. I can figure out how to set up individual frequencies, and search those, but I find this feature pretty useless for hunting DX.

For example, I want DXLab Commander to continuously search the entire 15m SSB band, then start over again, while I listen to stop it if someone comes up on a frequency.

Is DXLab incapable of doing this? If it is capable, how do I do it?

Thanks.

2. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's quite useful for hunting DX on 6m and 2m.

Commander does not provide the ability to scan a range of frequencies using CAT commands; the rate would be too slow to be useful for HF DXing.

If you want to find currently active DX stations with whom a QSO would advance your progress towards DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, or WPX awards, use SpotCollector.

Dave, AA6YQ

3. KE0EYJ

I'll check out SpotCollector.

Sad that DXLab does not have the ability to run this simple scanning feature. Ham Radio Deluxe is able to do it very easily, and the speed can be controlled. I just wish HRD would play nice as a serial port. I have never -- in over 20 years of computing -- found serial ports to be reliable. I have had zero luck keeping them working. I hope Yaesu gets rid of this early 1990's serial port garbage.

4. AA6YQ

What would be sad would be to spend development cycles implementing a worthless capability.

The issue is not controlling the speed. The issue is that when implemented with CAT commands, the effective scan rate is too low to be useful for HF DXing. Compute the scan rate and see for yourself.

5. KE0EYJ

All I know is that, after using both, Ham Radio Deluxe does what I want -- to be able to leave the band scanner on while I walk around the house and do other things. I can hear a blip when a new signal comes on.

DXLab simply is not capable of this, apparently.

Looks like I'll be buying a new port adapter.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

6. AA6YQ

For DXing, that's only useful when there are a limited number of specific DX frequencies, e.g. on 6m. DXLab has long supported the ability to repeatedly scan a specific set of frequencies.

Slowly scanning an HF band while you're doing other things is not a capability considered useful by most DXers.

You might find this book helpful.

7. KE0EYJ

Exactly.

I find it useful on 15m, where there are a small number of signals that pop up a few hours before grayline here in Seoul. Or, in the morning, after the sun comes up, when I am listening for USA stations.

Apparently, Ham Radio Deluxe found it useful enough to include, as a feature.

The alternative, i have learned, is to scan the band up and down manually with Shift-Page Up or Down. It works well at that, BUT doing it manually is bothersome.

There is no programmable reason why this could not be made to work in DXLabs Commander.

8. AA6YQ

As I have already explained several times in this thread, the capability you seek is not implemented because few ops would utilize it. Diverting development cycles from useful new capabilities to a (relatively) useless new capability would be egregiously bad product management.

9. K8AC

K8AC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have to agree with Dave here. Never understood why any HF rig even included a scan function. If you'll be sitting at the rig and want to spot weak signals, use a good panadaptor. If you'll not be sitting at the rig, use SpotCollector and activate the capability to hear voice announcements when a station that will advance your award progress is spotted.

10. N4TT

N4TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny. I came to this thread to see how I could set up scanning. Apparently what I want is useless to me. Not quite sure how scanning a few memory channels is not useless for DX. DX operators stake out the same frequencies every time? Ah well. It's been 2 years and nobody else has asked. I feel so useless. Back to spinning the dial.