Help with regulations classification for pager project

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by TJNII, Mar 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. TJNII

TJNII QRZ Member

Good evening:

First and foremost if there is a better forum for this please let me know, this seemed like the best one for regulation questions.

I'm working on a project that is kind of a "rf pager". The design is to have a transmitter that will broadcast a status out, likely dtmf tones or similar, to control status lights on a receiver. The purpose is to get my attention when I'm operating a machine where I may not notice the phone buzzing or if I'm in a cell dead spot, of which there are a couple on my property and in nearby parks. For this use the transmitter will be unattended and broadcasting on a timer.

This will be a one-way transmission, but will only run on-demand when I need it. The receiver will be monitored, but will only be status lights.

My question is how is this classified under the regs. Would this be a beacon? I see 47 CFR § 97.203 allows for one-way transmissions under 100W, but this is not "for the purposes of observation of propagation and reception". Is there another section that allows this kind of transmission I should be looking at?

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The bigger issue is the purpose of the telemetry. If it is anything business related, or something that could be making money for you, it can't be done on amateur radio. You could do this with MURS and be totally legal.

3. TJNII

TJNII QRZ Member

Personal use only, I don't think there is enough demand to sell this. I haven't decided which band to target yet as understanding what bands are legal is kind of important. MURS doesn't need a license, correct? Does that band have a transmitter certification requirement like CB or are DIY transmitters legal there?

4. K7JEM

MURS doesn't need a license, it does require certified radios

5. TJNII

TJNII QRZ Member

Cool, I'll look into MURS as that looks like a good option for this project, thanks.

Back to my original question if I do want to do something like this in the amateur band would it be classified as beacon, would it be something else, or is this kind of (non-commercial) use not allowed in the amateur bands at all? I do understand that I'll need a license if I want to operate in the amateur bands, one of the spirits of this question is to understand the classification of this use so I know what kind of license would be needed. I'm still curious for general and ongoing knowledge, thanks.

6. K7JEM

That would be an "auxiliary station" authorized under 97.201. The information it sends would be "telemetry", and it can be a one way transmission.

7. TJNII

TJNII QRZ Member