Help with Protecting Electronics from Outside Heat

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ6FNN, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ6FNN

KJ6FNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I have microADSB-IP Receiver http://www.anteni.net/adsb/User_Manual_v4.pdf that made by microadsb.com I noticed when the outside temp goes above 76 Degrees F it stops working and when temp goes back down later in the night it comes back online I'm using outdoor rated Cat-5E cable and the metal Enclosure is rated for IP65, I was thinking of using Heat Shield tape like this one https://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-340020-Thermaflect-Shield/dp/B000QFN3DU but wanted to get some advice what would be the best way to fix the overheating? any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! 76 seems pretty low to have trouble. Is it in the sun?

You could affix some heatsinks to it with thermal grease. Or add a fan. I would be tempted to open it up and examine the setup for proper transfer of the heat from the inside to the outside.

3. KJ6FNN

Hi, yes it is in the sun we have it on 10-foot mast on our roof

Thanks

4. KJ6FNN

Here is photo of are setup I put red arrow but the device

thanks

Attached Files:

5. K0OKS

Perhaps you could put something up that would shade it from the sun. Ideally the shadow caster would not be right next to the device so that the energy absorbed from the sun would not be radiated into the device.

Anything you can do to paint the item silver, or put foil on it can help as well (foil may have its own issues in terms of shorting things, but it will reflect the heat well). Mylar may help as well (like a space blanket) though Mylar is conductive like foil!

A small solar powered fan might help as well. But good heat sinking is going to be important.

6. K0OKS

Could you position it so that it is shaded by the solar panel?

7. KJ6FNN

Could you position it so that it is shaded by the solar panel? unfortunately, I have to have it at the top of the mast for the antenna I was looking at Heatshield Products 340020 Thermaflect Tape 1-1/2" Wide x 20' Heat Shield tape

Thanks for all the help everyone

8. K0OKS

That tape could be helpful, but ideally it is not directly on the device. I fear it would act like more an insulator, keeping the heat in. That is why I was suggesting something that would cast a shadow on it, along with conductive heat sinking.

Good luck.

KJ6FNN likes this.
  9. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you open it up and check for moisture? Could be trying to evaporate as it heats up affecting the electronics.

K0OKS and N0TZU like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you contacted the manufacturer about the problem? Most electronic devices should function easily under those conditions (and much hotter), especially considering it is in a white box which reflects a lot of sunlight.

Could it be something else, such as a flaky connector, or the antenna, or the power source?

K0OKS likes this.