Help with overseas bureau

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB6NVD, Apr 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB6NVD

WB6NVD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked a French station who was maritime mobile. Now I want to trade QSL cards with him.

I checked his QRZ page and he suggested I use the 'REF' bureau. Naturally it is in French so I translated its pages in Google.

I am not a bureau user so I am puzzled by what I found. Has anyone used this bureau that could help me with a one card transaction?

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

you send your cards to your national bureau you have to be an arrl member for this, they eventually send them to everywhere else.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can send your card directly to the REF but he's probably going to reply via the bureau system. That means you need to have an envelope on file at the WB6 incoming bureau, no membership required.
    It may take years to receive the card if that's the only one incoming!
    You're probably better off trying to beg via email a direct card and sending him an SAE and a couple of green stamps.

4. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, never send "green stamps" to France. They will never get to the guy.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are interested only in his qsl, why not simply send it directly and avoid the Buro?

6. KP4SX

Maybe because "I checked his QRZ page and he suggested I use the 'REF' bureau."

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When I send "Green Stamps" I never ever use any ham radio references (call signs) on the envelope. I wrap the $$ in paper and use a "not see-through" envelope. I use one of my wife's "Breast Cancer awareness society" pink address labels with her name on them - not mine - no call sign. Then I stamp the envelope with a large-font stamp "Family photographs - do not bend" on the front and back.

Seems like a lot of bother but it's really not. Been doing it this way for years for "paper cards I really want for personal reasons" and it's never failed - even to cesspit countries.

Pretty sure the "Breast Cancer" labels speak volumes......

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KP4SX

Never lost bucks with a QSL to France.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got that but if he has an address listed, it’s a safe bet the process would go much faster without his card having to wind its way through the bureau process. Whatever....

10. KP4SX

Troo dat but many folks don't want to deal with direct cards. That's why I suggested email to see if he would accommodate. Being that he is a seafaring /MM he might not want cards piling up while he's away. Who knows.
    I wouldn't do him thru the Buro either if i were anxious for the card.