Help with moving to Windows 10 Home from Pro

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N0JZQ, Jul 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Volume license (usually) applies to multiple machines under THAT license, BUT>>> if a person is no longer employed (or otherwise associated with) the owner of the volume license, they can no longer (legally) use the software under the volume license, or transfer it to another individual. (This often leads to black (or at least gray) marketing of volume license keys "sold" to individuals in no way associated with the original Volume license holder.)

2. WA9SVD

Isn't that partly the fault of the previous owner, then? I'd think THAT sort of "stuff" woud be removed before a computer changes hand.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think so.

But some users have no clue.

Microsoft holds their hand...

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually. Most volume license holders contract out their computer disposal. The contractor is paid to take the machines and wipe or destroy the drive(s). They then turn around and resell the machine. They get paid coming and going! The seller usually either sells the machine with no drive or installs a OEM licenses OS.

But you have cracks in the system. A company going bankrupt can sell off equipment without proper disposal techniques, a division manager can decide that the info is not critical and so not pay for wiping to save a few bucks, employee theft, or just plain human screwups can release these items into the wild.

5. WA9SVD

In your first instance, you are simply describing normal business practices; SOME companies (at least in the past) simply threw computers (and peripherals) in a dumpster, with NO thought of what was on hard drives. There's nothing "illegal" about selling a machine without a hard drive, OR installing an OEM operating system of any kind. the original company is paying to have the machines properly and completely "cleaned," either by proper wiping, or destruction of hard drives. That is something they agree to pay for. If a "disposal"company then decides to re-sell the computers, that is also their right, as they are the (new) owner of the physical MACHINE (ONLY,) but have no legal right to any of the licensed software, including operating system software.
    In the second scenario, you are describing what is basically "black and white" illegal, or at least, unethical. (Employee theft certainly is in the "b&w" illegal category.)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A 1/4 Inch drill bit is handy for data disposal.

Should work fine for the new SSD stuff also.

WF9Q likes this.
  7. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 5-gallon bucket of old hard drives. Sat down one day with the Torx bit set and opened up each one, removed the magnets, platters and stripped the aluminum cases. The drive bodies were solid blocks of aluminum. Added them to my monthly donation at the metal recycler and picked a few bucks.

The magnets out of those old conventional drives are seriously powerful! All kinds of great uses.

After that you can stack the old platters and drill them. ;)

8. WA9SVD

Just 1/2 of one of those 2-part hard drive magnets placed on a platter will do the trick. No drilling required:cool:! (Just don't get a finger stuck between the two halves!:()

9. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the PC has a Win 10 Pro license embedded in the BIOS; then the Windows install is always going to defer to the built-in license. If that's the case...there's really no reason to not use it.

You can find out where the license is stored by hitting start, typing in Activation (like just start typing and the search box appears), and selecting Activation Settings. It will then tell you how your copy of Windows is licensed. As an example; this laptop came with Win 10 Home that I upgraded to Win 10 Pro; so my license is linked to my digital account. In theory, even if I have to reinstall; it should restore this license from my account. I've never had to reinstall any of my Win10 machines in the last 3 years so...I honestly have no clue what it does.

[​IMG]