ad: Schulman-1

Help with mobile antenna and mounting

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD0OAS, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0OAS

KD0OAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to ham radio, just got my tech license a few weeks ago, and could use some help with getting a mobile antenna and a way to mount it. Since I'm new to this hobby I don't know a lot of the jargon or technical things so please go easy on me.

The radio was relatively easy to pick out, I got a Yaesu FT-7900R, but antennas are a bit more difficult since there are so many of them, here is what I've chosen so far with my research.

Comet CA-2x4SR with the NMO mount
    http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...fo&cPath=191_192_200_450_453&products_id=1593

This mount and cable with a loose PL-259 end so I can cut the cable to whatever length I need, and it will be attached to the back of my Jeep Wrangler.
    http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...duct_info&cPath=264_269_1041&products_id=1191

So what do you all think about my choices? Am I doing it all wrong? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Brandon

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KD0NSC

KD0NSC Ham Member QRZ Page

KDØOAS....I just orderd the same radio(will be here WEDs)and went thru the same delema.......I have a MFJ-1729 that I am going to use for now just to get on 2m untill i get brave enough to have a 3/4 hole drilled in my trk roof....

I have a 011 F250 and after all the headaches about witch antenna I desided to go with the
    NMO-2/70 antenna and the NMO-K mounting kit for about 70 bucks(going to order it nxt week) .....Now I need to find a shop to drill and install it,plus I also need to run the power from battery(not as easy as it sounds after looking at it).....

4. KD0OAS

KD0OAS Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason I chose that mount is because I have a soft top Jeep. I can get the NMO through-hole mount but I still need something to mount it on since my Jeep doesn't have a roof. The only flat metal surface is on the hood or front fenders and I really don't want to mount an antenna up front, it would just get broken when I'm offroad.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd use a front fender, with a through-hole NMO mount. It will run rings around a clamp-on mount like you originally linked. No reason for it to break when you're off-road; however if you're concerned about that, get a stronger dual-band whip. Larsen makes dual-band whips that can take a serious beating -- I pull into and out of parking garages with one of the roof of my van and it slams into the garage opening, then into all the overhead lightning...bump...bump...bump...thousands of times, never broke one yet.

6. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

To add on to what Steve said... I'll bet you, that if you smack the Comet against a low hanging branch, the top connector will fail. Do the same thing to a Larsen NMO2/70, and nothing will happen. It might get bent, and if it does, you straighten it back up.

7. AF6OD

AF6OD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can make a mount and use the cable they recommended. If you post a pic of where you would like to mount it to help with ideas. They make cables of different length. The one posted you have to solder the end on,not too bad as there are youtube vid on how to do it.
    http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=264_266_282
    That a good link to show you all the different choices.

8. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Join http://www.4x4ham.com/

Lot of Jeep people there.....

9. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

10. KK4CAQ

KK4CAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone!

I am having a similar problem to what KD0OAS mentioned.

I am planning to order a Yaesu FT 8900R with a Diamond CR 8900 antenna. My problem is what type of mount to get.

The rig is going in a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo so drilling is not an issue. If anyone can offer any kind of advice to send me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.