Help with Kenwood ts 480sat

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB5RLM, Jun 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB5RLM

KB5RLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So I did the hidden menu power mod on my 100 watt 480, followed the directions exactly as posted and everything worked fine. I noticed the unit was getting a little warmer than usual so I went back into the hidden menu to set the power back to stock, now my power meter on the radio will not go above 50 watts. Does anybody know the fix for this issue?

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup........the fix is send it back to Kenwood. You blew a chip. You can take that to the bank.

The radio is designed to put out 100 watts, not more. I guess you won't be doing that again?

Barry, KU3X

ND6M likes this.
  3. KB5RLM

Even with the mod I never went above 100 watts, external meter shows 95 watts

KU3X likes this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I say this because I ran into the same problem. My 480 was only putting out 80 watts. It showed it on the internal and external meter. I did the exact same thing you did. I just wanted to get the radio up to 100 watts. The end result was a failed chip. The issue with the 80 watts on my radio was losses in the Anderson Power Pole / MFJ power strip.
    Once the radio was repaired I addresses the DC line voltage issue. The power cable now goes direct to the Astron RS35 and I now get the full 100 watts out.

Barry

5. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

That really sucks if u broke the radio!
    My ts 480sat pegs my bird watt meter with the 100w slug. 110plus watts prob.

But my ldg tuner on the other hand only shows 75-80 watts with its built in swr/watt meter.

6. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Either way, i wouldn't risk modding the power output unless kenwood says it is okay to do!

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically the manufacturer sets limits on their stuff. It's a very good idea to follow the manufacturer's guidelines,
    or you are going to go over the limits and 'pop' something. There's a little bit of 'lee-way' built into everything, but
    especially with newer equipment, I wouldn't push things too far. If you have to ask how far is too far... then I think I'd leave
    it alone, you know?

8. KB5RLM

According to every meter I have hooked to it, it is doing 95 watts, signal reports are the same as before, the only issue (I see/am having) is the built in power meter only shows 50 watts.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Would 110, even 120 Watts REALLY make a difference over 100, or even 95 Watts? Think about it for a minute... or two or three. There is no legal limit commercial amp that requires more than 100 Watts input; typically 65 Watts +/- is sufficient. Even a poorly designed homebrew should not require more than 100 Watts (input to the amp) to achieve legal limit.
    The power requirements, and especially the HEAT SINK ability ois designed for 100 Watts. While the output semiconductors MAY well be able to handle 150, or even 200 Watts, their heat sink is NOT, it is designed for only 100 Watts. Failure, (and/or) reduced reliability or exceeding the power levels designed into the radio leads to premature failure of multiple systems, and (IMHO only) often the radio results in a QRZ thread about "how do I replace the finals in my radio?"

Is it REALLY worth extracting a few extra watts from a radio, when the extra power will NEVER be noticed by another station? Seems the procedure reeks of another service. YMMV.

ND6M likes this.
  10. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're going to have to get a dummy load, a power meter, go into the service menu and recalibrate the S meter for power. If you're lucky then that is all it will be, if not then its back to Kenwood time.