Help with ic9700 & SATPC32 on Linears

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N7AY, Nov 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying to get an ic9700 and SATPC32 to play on the linears for the first time.

In SATPC32 if I click to track RS-44 (for example) it tunes the ic9700 to 435,640(USB) / 145,965(LSB) +/- doppler. I note these frequencies are the center of the bird's band and I see where they come from in the DOPPLER.SQF file. If my antenna is pointing at RS-44 and it's in range (i.e. I'd expect it to hear me if it's working) should I hear myself if I CQ?

I've tried this on RS-44 and 5-6 linear birds and I never hear myself like I do on FM. Is that normal, or am I supposed to hear myself.

I've made a couple of linear contacts that seemed to go normal but I never did hear myself during the QSOs.

The way I believe it's supposed work is I should hear myself and I should be able to tune around with the ic9700 in REV mode and I should continue to hear myself wherever I tune within the bandwidth of the bird. Is that correct?

SATPC32 and the ic9700 are working beautifully on the FM birds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you are supposed to do is adjust your uplink frequency until you hear yourself then save it. You can either use the + and - keys on the keyboard or open the CAT menu and adjust by 10, 100 or 1000.

3. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From the CAT section of the Satpc32 manual.

aa. Select the desired satellite, for example VO-52, while it is in range for your location.

bb. Tune the VFO to an unused frequency.

cc. While transmitting and whistling or sending CW signals calibrate the TX frequency with the TX correction controls of the CAT menu or the +/- keys of the keyboard until you hear your signal with the correct audio pitch. With the Yaesu FT-847 you may also use the Sub VFO knob for this step.

Caution: Do not use other methods to find your signal since the program needs to know the amount of correction to change the TX frequency accordingly.

dd. Click the 'Change/Store Data File' button in the CAT menu. In the window that opens click the 'Uplink Calibration' button. The program will then automatically change the TX frequency entry in the Doppler.SQF file. When you select that satellite at future program starts you should immediately hear your signal. Minor remaining frequency deviations may then be corrected with the +/- keys of the keyboard or the correction controls of the CAT menu. If your signal's is too high, click the '+' key, if it is too low click the '-' key

4. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bing!

5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

You should also be able to see your signal in the pass band on the 9700.
    Tune to it and do as KB1PVH suggests as per the SATpc32 manual.
    Update the keps every session too.