Help with ground plane/counterpoise on trailer antenna.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI5AJF, Oct 5, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI5AJF

KI5AJF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of building an off road trailer to pull behind my jeep. It will be used for camping trips to Big Bend and similar places. I am wanting to build an extendable pole that i can place a dual band antenna on top of to increase range from the trailer. I have read else where that you can use a Larson NMO 2/70 as its a 1/2 wave and will not need a ground plane. I don't see how this will work. I contacted larson about this exact same issue and they recommended a 48" diameter steel plate at the top of the mast for a ground plane. What are my options to mount a good dual band antenna around 12'-16' off the ground with an extendable pole while attached to a trailer. The trailer itself is not an enclosed trailer, its a cargo trailer that holds our camping gear, coolers, chairs, etc. There is no metal roof that i can attach an NMO directly to. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction of what antenna i need to buy, or build to get this to work correctly? I don't yet own an SWR meter as I'm not yet a HAM. I have listened for many year and truly enjoy it. I was intimidated to get on the air, but recently i have been studying and I'm planning on taking the next test in my area which is in just a few weeks! I know this may be a very easy or basic question for some to answer, and i want to thank you in advance for still taking the time to help us new folks out.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KI5AJF

WB2WIK,
    Thank you for your recommendation. I was actually looking at the same thing earlier in the day before contacting larson, but they recommended the 48" steel plate and didn't mention anything about the ground plane kits, possibly because they don't sell any of them. Im in no way interested in even trying to place a 48" plate at the top of a mast on a small 4x6 trailer. I think i may give this a try and see how it works. This is exactly what i was looking for. The antenna mast will fold down along the frame and the pole will be collapsable, but i still want the antenna itself to be detachable so that i can only put it up when we need it. Im not trying to attract too much attention when we are out in the middle of Big Bend or elsewhere, I would really hate to have the antenna mounted and have someone break in and steal the radio while we are out hiking. So a removable antenna is a must. It will be nice though to be able to sit down at the end of the day and try and make some new contacts in areas that we are only visiting for a few days. It would be much easier and more enjoyable to do so while sitting out next to a campfire instead of just the occasional contact while driving thru different areas. Anyways, thank you so much for your recommendation, I think i will snoop around and check some reviews and order one.

73s

ETA, do you or anyone else have a dual band antenna recommendation to go with this? Im only going to be using 2/70 once i get my license. I was considering the Larson 2/70 NMO BK. Is this advisable with this ground plane or would a different antenna suite this better?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KI5AJF

Huh, i didn't see that earlier when i was looking. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will go ahead and get this stuff ordered then. I wanted the BK so that it would match the rest of the trailer. I guess i could have left that off of the antenna description.

Thanks again. You have been a huge help!