help with FT 897 and ft 8?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA2TVX, Nov 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2TVX

KA2TVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had my FT 897 working on FT8 last winter, now I cannot key the transmitter and I do not know what changed?
    I use no interface, hook 1/8 plugs from panasonic toughbook (mic and earphone jacks) into DIN plug on back of 897. Receives is fine, if I unplug the earphone plug I do get tones from the internal speaker.

Any thoughts on what setting I need to adjust (I wonder if its in the computer, not the radio, but n idea what was changed. I am the only one who messes with the computer, and I use it pretty much for qrz surfing during qsos and digital hf. Seem to have the same issue on fldigi and js8 call, both of which I used in the past, but only a little.

What should I check?

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

??

data menu, user-U?

3. KA2TVX

set user u, have tried it in usb and data modes

4. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had issues like this with my ft897d. I don't think the mini din connector for the cat control is secure as it ought to be. I think the way the case is made around the plugs interferes with a good connection.

In fact I had just this problem with it today when I went poking around things. It seems to come up once in a while for me too.

5. KA2TVX

Does not seem to be a loose DIN connector

6. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check where you have hidden the cat cable.

Those radios require 2 cables. One for audio and the other for computer control.

7. KA2TVX

A loose DIN connector was not the issue - but a poorly assmebled homebrew cable was.
    After fighting struggling and being in general ticked off, I will switch to embarrassed.

The problem with homebrew equipment is too frequently the quality of workmanship, at least in my house. A joint in the cable came apart (in fact I cannot even tell if they were ever soldered.)

Bizarrely, I used it for 6 months with no issues, then set everything aside for 6 months and the issue appeared.

All fixed now made a QSO even.

Thanks for trying to help!