help with FT 897 and ft 8?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA2TVX, Nov 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2TVX

    KA2TVX Ham Member QRZ Page

    I had my FT 897 working on FT8 last winter, now I cannot key the transmitter and I do not know what changed?
    I use no interface, hook 1/8 plugs from panasonic toughbook (mic and earphone jacks) into DIN plug on back of 897. Receives is fine, if I unplug the earphone plug I do get tones from the internal speaker.

    Any thoughts on what setting I need to adjust (I wonder if its in the computer, not the radio, but n idea what was changed. I am the only one who messes with the computer, and I use it pretty much for qrz surfing during qsos and digital hf. Seem to have the same issue on fldigi and js8 call, both of which I used in the past, but only a little.

    What should I check?
     
  2. KD8DEY

    KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

    ??

    data menu, user-U?
     
  3. KA2TVX

    KA2TVX Ham Member QRZ Page

    set user u, have tried it in usb and data modes
     
  4. N3RYB

    N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I've had issues like this with my ft897d. I don't think the mini din connector for the cat control is secure as it ought to be. I think the way the case is made around the plugs interferes with a good connection.

    In fact I had just this problem with it today when I went poking around things. It seems to come up once in a while for me too.
     
  5. KA2TVX

    KA2TVX Ham Member QRZ Page

    Does not seem to be a loose DIN connector
     
  6. VK4XJB

    VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

    Check where you have hidden the cat cable.

    Those radios require 2 cables. One for audio and the other for computer control.
     
  7. KA2TVX

    KA2TVX Ham Member QRZ Page

    A loose DIN connector was not the issue - but a poorly assmebled homebrew cable was.
    After fighting struggling and being in general ticked off, I will switch to embarrassed.

    The problem with homebrew equipment is too frequently the quality of workmanship, at least in my house. A joint in the cable came apart (in fact I cannot even tell if they were ever soldered.)

    Bizarrely, I used it for 6 months with no issues, then set everything aside for 6 months and the issue appeared.

    All fixed now made a QSO even.

    Thanks for trying to help!
     

Share This Page