Help with FT-8 with Icom 7600

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC8DIX, Dec 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8DIX

KC8DIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 7600 that will receive signals on FT-8, but will not transmit. I spoke with Icom and after a period of questions the radio and drivers are ok. I have tried to change every setting in the software numorous time with no luck.
    Error messages are; rig failure communication bus error while getting current freq. and, hamlib error io error while opening connection to rig.
    After days of this my interest is waning. I would appreciate any one that is using this mode with a 7600 to help get this corrected. I would like to go through every setting to find my mistake.
    Thanks, Steve kc8dix

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem with FT-8 and my 7600. Somehow in endlessly fussing with it I got it resolved. I am not the least bit sure what I did to solve it!!
    I think it had to do with the software and NOT the 7600. I have never had any problem setting up other software for digital modes with the 7600.
    I wrote down all the settings after I got it working with WSJT-X
    The baud rate is 9600
    8 None and 1
    DRT and RTS are both High.
    PTT is CAT
    Mode USB or packet/data
    Split-None

In other threads about difficulties, setting the baud rate to 9600 was mentioned a few times so I went with that. It seemed to me that WSJT-X was having difficulty in saving the settings for some reason. I saw a lot of people having problems getting WSJT-X to work with CAT control and transmitting.

All that effort and I haven't bothered to make even one contact on FT-8 other than one friend to make sure it works! It's just not my thing I guess.

3. KC8DIX

[

Thanks, I have tried all different combos with settings. As I understand it, there is problem with the hamlib portion of the software. Different pc's handle the commands differently. If it works, great, if not, the software will not talk to the radio. I have talked with Icom twice, and watched many videos, along with all the web pages. The mode is not personal, too robotic for me.
    Thanks for your time, Steve

4. VK1AZ

VK1AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know the 7600 and 7610 are different but I struggled with this for a few hous trying to get hamlib to talk to the 7610 directly.... gave up backtracked to DXLabs commander as I'm using DXLabs for logging.
    Commander worked first go, then I just told WSJT-X to use Commander as the rig interface....

5. KC8DIX

I don't the differences of the two radios either. I will investigate the commander.
    thanks, Steve

6. KC4X

KC4X Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone: I have chased a problem on my IC 7600 for hours. No computer generated signal going to the rig, so, no output. It used to work fine and then there was a Windoz 10 update. I have discovered that Windoz 10 updated their privacy settings and turned all access to the MICROPHONE OFF !!! I read a thousand helpful post and finally found ONE guy who outlined the problem in one sentence. Simple Windoz 10 fix. Settings, microphone privacy settings, turn the button ON. After 30 hours of trouble shooting over 4 months, it was that simple. Good luck. Now, something for the google crawler to find. "FT-8, NO AUDIO, WINDOWS 10 UPDATE, MICROPHONE"

WB5YUZ and AD7DB like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the most recent version of Hamlib.