Help with fixing Icom V8 or buying Icom V8

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KA0ERZ, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA0ERZ

KA0ERZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed an ad in the WANTED section for an Icom V8. I have one which works but the LCD display is displaying odd characters. This is is not an in demand radio due to the age the original 600 Mah NiCad batteries and they are now hard to find and no option to connect to 12V DC. Most are either sitting in the original box or on a shelf. My Boefeng UV-8 2m/440 8W was $50. Those who have a V8 want $50-75 plus shipping. What a joke. I happen to have some new old stock batteries I can use IF their LCD works and it's in good condition. These radios aren't worth much with all the issues. Other than the post in WANTED what options do I have in finding one. Icom no longer supports the radio and batteries are hard to find. Someone has to have one at a reasonable price, anything else I can do or post somewhere?

Many Thanks,
    KAoERZ
    sst320@att.net or via QRZ

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The only appropriate place to post something you want to buy here is in fact the "wanted" forum. I did some Googling and it indeed seems the "going rate" for the V8 is in fact between $50 and $70. It is what it is.

Good luck in your quest,

Dave
    W7UUU