Help with Elecraft AF1 -assembly with off-board mounted pots...

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W3KW, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello to all ye technically minded folk-

I just bought the Elecraft AF1 filter after seeing how amazing it is when used with older rigs. I will use mine mainly with the Heathkit HW-8. I don't like how the form factor turns out after building the kit with board mounted pots and input/output connectors. I want to build the kit with all pots and I/O jacks wired, so I can make the controls front and rear mounted in an enclosure. Has anyone done this and have a parts list maybe? The supplied pots, aside from the main pot, are not designed for panel mounting.

Any other advice welcome.

Wes
    WM7WM

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

How about something like this for an enclosure? About a minute into the video it is shown better.

3. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's fine, and looks great with your HW-8! I want the controls on the front and hook-ups on the back, however, so I can stack the enclosure with all my other gear. That top mounted configuration just isn't helpful in the shack organization. Plus, not enough tinkering involved. Thanks, though. I thought about mounting the filter in a Heathkit speaker enclosure but I really don't want to be known for hacking into sacred metal. LOL.