Help with a 2M rig in a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N2PPK, Nov 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all-

Finally looking to do 2 meters right. An H/T in the car just isn't doing the trick.

So here's the thing... I don't want to do a mag-mount, and I don't want to mount anything on the roof of the car considering I'm generally either carrying bicycles or kayaks on the roof rack in warmer weather.

I've found out I will be getting an Icom IC-2300H for Christmas (got a good deal at HRO yesterday) and am excited about getting it into the Crosstrek... (I'll be using it as a base station 2M until I get it mobile).

That being said, I want to run 2M mobile, without a roof mounted antenna. Any experience?

I found someone on a Crosstrek forum that mounted a CB with a FireStik antenna in a way that's appealing to me. I've attached some photos.

I can get the mounts and a 2M antenna. But will I have a strong enough signal? I know roof mounted would be more ideal, but the roof is generally carrying something else that would get in the way of an antenna.

Thoughts?

IMG_20140521_192942824_HDR_zpsymglzbi7.jpg IMG_20140521_193428923_HDR_zpsduxgdbm6.jpg IMG_20140521_193452678_zpsuna3s5va.jpg

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What you show will work fine. It will help to get as good an electrical bond as you can manage between your mounting hardware and the car body. Toothed lock washers can help there to get through the paint and make a good electrical connection.

N2PPK likes this.
  3. N2PPK

Great. Thank you! I'm willing to scrape off some paint where needed to ensure that contact gets made as good as possible. I will keep the lock washers in mind as well to ensure.

Thank you!

4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using a through the glass mount antenna on my wifes car which I got from palmetto antennas. It works very well with just a hand held radio. I have used it for APRS too.

I never thought a through the glass antenna would be any good, but they are.

It tunes well, and would be good with an Icom IC-2300H.. I have two of those radios, nice radios IMO.

Andrew
    AD5KO

N2PPK likes this.
  5. N2PPK

Good to hear! I'm actually running a cheap mag-mount (gifted to me generously by WC3T) running through my FT-60R right now.

Looking forward to the IC-2300. But the mag-mount will probably stick around at least until the spring!

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 2300h with a mag mount for a long time. Also a yaesu FT-60.

AD5KO

N2PPK likes this.
  7. N2PPK

Ladies and gentlemen, I finally "installed" the IC-2300 today and got a good signal report from Rich WC3T.

I'm running the IC-2300 through a Diamond MR77 mag-mount dual-band antenna atop my Crosstrek. It will do for now. I'm currently powering using a Powerwerx cigarette lighter cable into my IC-2300. Not ideal, but once again, it will do for now until I can either run wires straight to the battery or find someone that can without charging an arm and a leg.

Now, I just need to mount the thing. I've got it sitting in my passenger wheel well right now, which will work until the girlfriend gets in the car and drops her 14 lb. purse on it! I want to mount it vertically to the transmission tunnel using the factory mounting bracket.

IMG_6150.JPG IMG_6151.JPG

AD5KO likes this.
  8. KE8IWM

KE8IWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Old thread, I know, but could you please post a picture of the radio mount you settled on?
    Thanks!

9. N2PPK

Haven't settled yet, unfortunately. Still floating around in my wheel well.

KE8IWM likes this.