Help! The portuguese ham radio community is at risk.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by CR7AUS, Apr 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. CR7AUS

CR7AUS Ham Member QRZ Page

HELP * HELP * HELP

the portuguese ham radio community is at risk. We are one of the very few countries in the world with the strictest rules regarding amateur radio. An entry level ham operator is prohibited from transmitting from his own station by himself and can only do so after 2 years of listening - even though he must pay a tax for the radio spectrum usage. This is extremely unencouragig, kills the very spirit of the amateur radio community and makes no sense as per CEPT. Please help the portuguese amateur radio newcomers by signing the following petition so we can have the law revised and changed, for the sake of the amateur radio community. Thank you!

https://peticaopublica.com/?pi=Radioamadorismo

Thank you, 73

CR7AUS

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is this directed toward? USA amateurs? I seriously doubt that your government will pay any heed to the signatures from non-citizens. And the webpage is not in English anyway...

Good Luck!

K4AGO likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How long have these rules been in effect? Is this a recent change, or something that's been long-standing? If it's a recent change, it MIGHT be a worthwhile petition....not sure, otherwise.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I work Portuguese hams all the time, there seem to be a lot of them active.

Just worked CT1EHI and CU2CE last night.

I didn't know about the regulations, that's interesting. Some countries certainly make it more difficult than others. I looked into getting a license in the Philippines since I visit fairly often, and it requires jumping through a lot of hoops, including joining their national amateur radio club (like it or not), passing both written and code tests (for full HF privileges), and taking the tests at certain locations -- they don't "come to you," as they do here with our VE system.

AFAIK Pakistan also still requires all this stuff, too (including the code exam). ITU doesn't require this, but certain countries do.

If Portugal makes it more difficult than most countries, I have renewed respect for Portuguese hams!:)

KD5RJZ, KI4AX and K4AGO like this.
  5. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm - in the not too distant past (i.e. the good ol' days).........

6. CR7AUS

Signatures have to be from portuguese citizens so in a way this post is aimed towards the portuguese hams. However I'm making it visible as such so that other hams from other countries are aware of this and there's a one in a million chance that it might trigger something else, not sure. Maybe it all comes down to my frustration in having to deal with this and apparently not having much power to change anything.

7. CR7AUS

It's been like this since 2009 if I understand correctly. I've seen some documents from other portuguese amateurs trying to make a change from 2013 but nothing happened. In a way all this stupidity is giving me strength to push this forward. My next step is probably trying to understand if CEPT can do something about it or how to make this EU-wise.

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing wrong with having higher standards. That is, unless the goal is to make everything easier

NK2U likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm quickly warming to the idea of newbies having to listen for some period of time before they transmit.

The idea of a yearly fee isn't so outrageous, either.

KD5RJZ, W4IOA, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Petitions won't do squat, OM. What will? Lobbying by your national amateur radio organization.

W2AI likes this.