ad: elecraft

Help save WWV & WWVH please listen & do survey

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W0IW, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've added a link to the survey near the top of my callsign lookup page.

I suggest that y'all do likewise. :cool:

Jim

2. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

@W9JEF This is one of the petitions I was referring to. There was another that may have had about the same success ... as in not.
    Are you aware of these past petitions?

3. W9JEF

4. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

@W9JEF ... yes, that is the identical link I just posted and is 1 petition is 1 of 2. I don't know where the other is, but there are links to those petitions on this and other ham forums. And, the best that one did was 20K out of the 100K necessary signatures needed to make a difference.

This is the dismal response that I am referring to. The point being is that trying to rabble-rouse hams is a fraction of what needs to be rabble-roused.

5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Is that the best you got? Sounds like a speech a politician would say after he loses a landslide election. Truth hurts sometimes. Fact is there was so little interest in the WWV petition, they quit asking for signatures. Time to pull the plug.

6. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious... would you pull the plug on all the time broadcasts or leave WWVB?

7. KX4O

8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Fair question. Outside of radio amateurs no one would miss WWV not to mention the vast majority do not even know exist or has any use for. The frequency standard reference it provides has been replaced with GPS. Receiving one of the WWV signals is hit and miss, and takes special equipment and antenna systems to utilize. GPS is dirt cheap, received everywhere, and can be fitted in a ring on your finger if needed.

WWVB is a different story and is not going anywhere. Even though the public is not aware of WWVB, there is a huge commercial market for and using the service. It is estimated there are over 50 million devices like watches and radio clocks use WWVB.

Like it or not times have changed and technology is changing everything. The "Airwaves" have become a commodity as valuable as land, and God is not making any more of either one of them. The solution is easy for WWVB and to that extent WWV is to treat it as a SERVICE collecting a user fee so to speak sort of like Microsoft does with a royalty. Yeah it is a tax. Say $1 for every gizmo sold would more than pay for both WWV and WWVB.

But when it comes down to WWV, you can do anything WWV can do plus a whole lot more with GPS. It is just cheaper, better, faster, and must smaller form factor that works everywhere. Using WWV as an argument for Beacon is just a Straw Man because there are many other beacons to choose from. No one would miss it.

9. KX4O

But vulnerable... even to other GPS receivers as we discovered during our UAV work.
    All true, but all proposals to date have not separated the three services: WWVB, WWV and WWVH. It has been all or none thus far in budgetary summaries whether realistic or not.
    Keep in mind the US time broadcasts exist in protected "standard frequency and time signal" cutouts so those spectrum portions aren't likely to be used for much else whether the US uses them or not.
    This is some good out of the box thinking. On par with your grounding articles/posts.
    Point made. I'm happy to have GPS as a backup frequency reference to WWV.

10. W9JEF

KF5LJW said:
    No research needed. Perhaps you should do research and come up to date. With GPS anyone can get accurate time and frequency reference anywhere on the planet. Even your cell phone can do the same thing. WWV is like public television, antiquated long ago along with 8-track tapes. Time to quit wasting public funds on out of date technology. Time to pull the plug.

W9JEF said:
    Anyone with a cellphone or email account can communicate with anyone else. So is Amateur Radio not antiquated; and continued FCC licensing, a waste of taxpayer money?

Why the vitriolic tone?

Is the reply not grounded in the same “reasoning” as your tendentious put down of WWV?

11. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a danger in only having one standard, no matter what that standard is. Depending on -new-, -cutting edge- technology without a back-up is also very foolish. Another face on this thing is how many other places/nations/countries use WWV? What do they do if it disappears? "Just up-grade!", right? Easy to say, maybe not so easy to do.
    Okay, here's the obligatory 'cheap-shot'... You wanna get rid of WWV 'cuz it's -OLD-! Just another one'a them ol'farts, right? And just like those ol'farts, they are old because of a good reason... think about that.

KA9RYP likes this.
  12. W9GYR

W9GYR Ham Member QRZ Page

KX4O likes this.
  13. WB3V

WB3V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I visited WWVH on the beautiful Hawaiian island of Lanai. I would vote to keep WWV/WWVH funded.

14. KB7CFV

KB7CFV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

15. KK4CCA

KK4CCA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...and the govt. just reversed a decision to phase out incandescent bulbs in favor of of more "modern" bulbs!