Help--one more time FT 101ZD

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N7WR, Nov 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the twilight years of my ham "career" I have been on a quest to obtain for my station two of my all time favorite transceivers--a Kenwood TS 830S and a Yaesu FT 101ZD. Well I have obtained both and as per my frequent luck there are problems with both. I do have the 830 scheduled to go to a well respected repair facility in January but thus far have had zero luck finding a source to look at the 101ZD. My eyesight, limited test equipment etc have taken me as far as I can go with it.

The ZD is immaculate inside and out and the person I bought it from, who was helping the XYL of a recent SK sell his equipment , said he had personally tested it before shipping. Well when turned on the fan works but nothing else. No audio, no S meter light, no frequency display--Nothing. Obviously the fuse is Ok since the fan works plus I tested it just to make sure. The jumper plug that goes into the acc socket (without which the radio will not work) is fine.

I pulled the covers and every one of the board to board connectors are solidly in place. The tubes are all seated in their sockets but, since there is no power to them they are not lit up. I am looking for suggestions as to what might be wrong and/or suggestions as to who might service these rigs. This one is just too pristine in appearance to give up on it.

2. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get the multimeter our and start checking voltages from the transformer on through to the rest of the power supply. The fan will run even of the main transformer is kaput...(it runs on mains power). You know your power switch is good at least.

N7WR likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good advice above to start at the power supply and check for correct DC voltages as a starting point.

If you don't already have it, here's a copy of the service manual with the overall schematic including the power supply section at the end of this document: https://www.qrzcq.com/pub/RADIO_MANUALS/YAESU/YAESU--FT-101ZD-Service-Manual.pdf

N3RYB likes this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page