Help on IC-7300 sound card--Windows 10 driver install

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KE9RJM, Jun 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE9RJM

KE9RJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I screwed up, I plugged the new IC-7300 into the USB before I downloaded the correct USB driver. Now device manager doesn't show the correct driver for the 7300....tried uninstalling the device in device manager and then letting it find new equipment but nothing. It just shows a "prolific port on com 3"

Any ideas .....?

Thanks, Bob
    KE9RJM

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

did you try un archiving the correct driver into a directory you can find?
    then try updating the driver and pointing to that directory?

3. KE9RJM

Sorry , should have mentioned that i am not very good with the computer...I don't know what you mean by un-archiving the driver , I did try uninstalling and reinstalling it to no effect....

4. KD8DEY

depends on the package the driver is in. Some programs create a directory where it puts the drivers. Others may come in a Zip file or self extracting archive that has to be "Un archived" to some place on the drive ( some directory that you know where to find them at) that you can access....
    BTW what program are you trying to use with the 7300? HRD?
    Could be that everything is fine, that you only need to tell the software you are wanting to use
    what com port too look at (Com 3) and set the data rate...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  5. KE9RJM

It created a zip which i extracted and i know where the 64 bit driver is, but even after a restart the "silicon" ports are not being recognized, just the "prolific " port.

6. KD8DEY

The "Prolific" port is the USB to Serial port Emulator...Makes your USB port look like a serial port to the system (Serial port 3 (Com 3)
    if your computer doesnt recgonise the other actual hardware based com ports, you may need to re install those drivers separately.
    maybe there was a conflict, and windows deactivated them?
    was there already a Com 3 in "Hardware"? and windows disabled it when you installed the prolific drivers?
    May be something as simple as re installing the hardware drivers or reassigning the com port number to resolve the conflict...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  7. KE9RJM

I am trying to use WSJT-X and in the setup when i try to change the input/output audio from speakers -realtec , there is no other option, when i had my signalink on my old ic-718 radio it gave me a speakers-codec option....

8. KD8DEY

That shouldn't have anything to do with the com ports. Codecs deal with "Audio"...
    Sounds like you are looking for a missing audio codec, not a com port driver...2 different animals...
    Go to the computer mfgrs website and try re installing the correct audio drivers for your computer....Then try reinstalling the signal link drivers
    then try reinstalling the WSJT

9. KE9RJM

Tried to update audio drivers, site said I had the latest one in, reinstalled the drivers for the IC-7300, deleted the WSJT but when i went to reinstall it both Windows and my security (Norton) refused to let it install....I think I am brain dead at this point and going to go out and enjoy field day at my local club...maybe some new approach will suddently pop into my head ...thanks for all your effort, Bob

10. KD8DEY

Temporarily disable nortons (I hate nortons for reasons too long to get into)
    download the latest audio driver package from your Mfgrs website.
    uninstall the sound card from windows, then run the package from the MFGR. to reinstall the sound card.

that way you have established a "Baseline" to proceed from.
    This should install any missing/corrupted Codec drivers for your computers sound card.

The SignalLink is also a "Sound card" isn't it? operated via USB?
    Probably has it's own Codecs...reinstalling it 2nd should help replace any missing/corrupted Codecs related to the Signalink....
    That should probably restore your sound card options in the windows menu system..
    Then on to WSJT....