Help ! My Computer Screen Font Size went too Small for me to Read

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's tiny, I can just see what I am typing now and I don't know how to fix it.

It's gotta be font 5 or lower but actually, I think it is the screen resolution that went way up.

Running Firefox, and doing nothing that I know of the screen as I watched just go smaller and smaller and it is only on QRZ.com and only on Firefox, not my other browser Windows explorer.

How do I get it back to normal ? Hope you can read this with spelling as i am having troruble seeing the screen even with my glaseses.

K2WH

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this happening in just Firefox or in Windows as well? If in just Firefox, press and hold down Ctrl and tap the "+" key (next to the Backspace) and it will make the text bigger. The opposite is Ctrl and "-". Technically,it's just zooming in rather than changing the font size.

If in Windows, you'll need to visit the Settings or Control Panel and change the font size of Windows Explorer from there.

73 de Joe KC8RLU

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That was it although I have no idea how it happened but, thanks again.

4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely you hit control and then rolled the mouse wheel. That's the most common cause. :)

KG5KOG and KA2CZU like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My cat seems to know how to make this happen!

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Control + 0 (the number, zero) will set the screen/font size back to its default setting.

7. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem. At least it was easy to fix; unlike other computer conundrums I've experienced in the nearly 30 years. Now if someone can explain why Micro$oft has to release the obligatory Monthly Rollup updates and why they needlessly have to be 200+ megabytes in size, and while you're at it, why they never successfully install in the first place, no matter which version of Windows I use. Sheesh...

73 de Joe KC8RLU

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Updates are nothing new. Updates have been around as long as computers have been around.

In the early days, updates were called patches. Patches just that and were usually very small. Sometimes as small as a dozen bytes. But installing a patch was time consuming. When you received the patch, which often was a single piece of paper with instructions. To install it, you had to load the program to be patched, find the start address in memory, halt the computer, key/toggle in the patch data, continue the computer, and save program.Then you test the program to make sure you didn't enter something wrong.

But that changed. Instead of a program simply being patched, it is just replaced. These days, with the complexity of the OS, it's no wonder that the update packages are that big.

But I have no issues with the updates that MS provides. With a 900 GB disk drive, 200 MB is a drop in the bucket. For me, the updates download in the background and I get a notice that it is waiting for me to reboot. I have one right now that downloaded a few days ago. When I get the chance, I will reboot and install it. The reboot seldom takes more than 10 minutes and I'm back to work.

I have several Windows 10 systems and a XP system. I even have a Wndows 3.1 system, but I don't update it. But the XP system seems to get irregular updates. I have had the Windows 10 systems since MS started offering free updates (?? 2 or 3 years). Only once did I have a issue with an update. But that was easy to fix.