Help me find a good mag mount 2m/70cm mobile antenna

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KM6XP, Mar 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

looking fr a good mag mount that can easily be put on and taken off the car as needed. Oh, and works well, lol. Thanks

2. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

NMO mag mount and your choice of dual band NMO whips. I like comet and diamond, but i've also used tram budget antennas to great success.

I suggest a separate setup because after the mag mount scratches the hell out of a body panel in a hard-to-repaint area and you launch it into the sun, you'll be able to use the NMO whip on a proper trunk lip, fender or hole NMO mount!

KB0MNM likes this.
  3. KM6XP

Well, this does not appear to be a good idea.

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

KC4YLV is correct. You may be better off with a fender mount, eg. MFJ and find yourself tightening the setscrews periodically. Folks usually find it easy to route the coax in near the fender and just below the window level. This area is not always a good choice for power leads, however. Consider double-protection for the firewall area where the leads to the battery area come in, and check out the K0BG website for clues about current monitors at the battery. You need to put the fuse near the battery ( and can leave the others near the radio ). Most electrical problems involve a short where grommets and tape can slip near the firewall.

5. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using a Diamond mr77 on my company truck for about a month. Not the greatest but it's working better than I expected.

6. KB0MNM

If good and cheap ( as in not much money ) for a MAG-MOUNT antenna is needed, then an MFJ-172x VHF/UHF with PL-259 style connector would be O.K., yet a real NMO base and plans to drill the appropriate hole ( 3/4" is NOT the same as 5/8", etc. ) for a real ground plane would be smarter. For the NMO element, I would think that whether you choose Larsen, Comet, Diamond, Maldol, or other ( many more )- you would want to consider overall height to keep the 'lifetime' within reason. Mobile antennas are subject to hitting trees and low man-made objects like parking garages and drive-through areas. While that 5/8 wave combination could give you extra gain for the wide-open prairie, it might not work for long if you put in on a mobile roof over 5 feet up. If you want an electrically folded mount later, look at the K4000 ( or was that K5000? ) mounted recommended antennas and consider getting an antenna that might fit on a trunk lid.

7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks but I'm not looking for a new antenna. I just wanted to share what I was using and try to answer the original question.

I completely understand how a properly mounted antenna is better. The boss is ok with a magnet mount antenna so that's what I have. It is on top of a welding machine about 9 feet above ground level, so I'm not looking for a longer one either.

8. KB0MNM

Hey Travis: " looking fr a good mag mount that can easily be put on and taken off the car as needed. Oh, and works well, lol. Thanks" Was sent by KM6VVW. You just happened to post your suggestion before mine, and in my haste I did not quote KM6VVW. Again, The (X)YL says hurry up and finish your business.

9. KM6XP

Sorry for the delay, work, work, work. I am going to just stick with the HT for now no holes or scratches in the car are a big priority.

10. EA2XG

EA2XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been with a Diamond NR-770 for many years with complete satisfaction.