Help me date this very old W7DK club Field Day film!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Apr 18, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? When did they change that?

N1YR likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It sure doesn't. They mostly ran gain antennas, so "120kW e.r.p." could easily mean a 50kW transmitter, or possibly less.

Now that virtually everything has moved to UHF where gain is easier to come by, the transmitters downsized.

If you want to see "big" transmitters, check out the shortwave (HF) BC stations where antenna gain is much more difficult to achieve unless they're very directional systems. My local HF-BC station KVOH (very close to me) has 1.25 megawatts e.r.p. from a 50kW output transmitter but that includes antenna gain, which is a log periodic having a very directional pattern.

W2AI likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As a kid I grew up watching KTNT ("Tacoma News Tribune" - they shared the same parking lot as the Tacoma regional newspaper).

I have no idea what network affiliation (if any) they had back then. Somewhere along the line they became KSTW and are now part of the CW network - but still based in Tacoma - about 30 miles from where I live now

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Post #36 suggests CBS at the time.
    Many independents carried various programs from the major networks. In Charlotte we had the new WSOC in 1957? which carried both NBC and ABC programs as there were no other affiliates in the area.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's more evidence for 1955.

As I noted before, the 2 meter station was manned by ZTG, ZTH, and ZTI. I suspect they were new novices, but perhaps they were technicians or generals. In any event, they were not in the 1953 callbook, but they were in the 1956 callbook. I'm not aware of any 1954 or 1955 call books online.

But, I looked up @W7ZTF. He has a vanity call, but only because he let his original license lapse. He says on his QRZ page that he was originally licensed with that call, as a Conditional, in 1955. Since ZTG, ZTH, and ZTI were all together in Tacoma, it seems extremely likely that they were licensed at the same time as ZTF, 1955.

Since we've previously narrowed it down to 1954 or 1955, and these three weren't licensed in 1954, then it has to be 1955.

6. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm late to the party and haven't read previous posts, but everything in the film screams mid 1950s to me. 1952 Ford, 1955 Ford, the electric skillet cooking bacon is early to mid-50s and the Handbook is a 1953. Love the film!

7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Actress Betty White.

8. W2AI

upload_2021-4-20_4-31-23.png

N2EY likes this.
  9. W2AI

Learn something new everyday on QRZ.com forums. Life in the 1950's was certainly most interesting.

K3XR likes this.
  10. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

For the first-generation Band III (high VHF) analogue TV transmitters built in Northern Europe, a
    vision channel ERP of 60 kW usually became the norm.

This was accomplished by stacking 12 Rohde&Schwarz "bat-wing" turnstile dipoles vertically and feeding them from the common Philips or Marconi 6 kW peak sync pulse output transmitters.

Later generations used Pye 10 kW transmitters.

It was very refreshing to watch the film, and note the professional camera handling and film editing. A "far cry" from the usual amateur video which only makes you nauseous from motion sickness...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM