Help me date this very old W7DK club Field Day film!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Apr 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A couple of years ago, I was handed a box of old films to convert to digital. They are from the archives of my local club, W7DK Radio Club of Tacoma. Most of the films were really short and had almost no useful or interesting content...

But the one big reel was 16mm and runs about 13 minutes. I had it converted then returned the films to the club.

I just stumbled upon the DVD of the conversion, and put it on YouTube....

It's silent - but there is a fair amount of interesting detail, including a Hallicrafters SX-88!!

I'm trying to date the film - I'm thinking late 1950s or early 1960s but since I was born in 1961 many of the clues are really before my time. At a bare minimum, if we ID the cover of the ARRL Handbook used in the intro, that would set an approximate date! Unfortunately my entire handbook collection burned in the fire - but that cover is familiar to me as being the 1961 edition.

The cars of course will vary a lot - many are WAY old but we all know how cars work in the real world... we don't all drive new cars!

It's a pretty watchable 13 minutes - and even if you can't provide clues to a date, it's still fun to watch.

My guess as to year? 1961 to 1963.... what's yours?

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    WA4BRL, W7JMP, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say you're in the right ball park with 61-63. I might drop back to 60. Owned that handbook when new and it would have been very late 50's or early 60's. Thought I might still have it but can't locate it. My first Field Day was 1960.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W7UUU

My first "Day" was June 17, 1961 :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on the equipment they’re using, I’d place it in the mid to late 1950’s.

6. W7UUU

IMO, the first "most important clue" is that Handbook cover... if it's 1961, then we can be certain the film is not before 1961...

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5YUZ and K3XR like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A Field Day baby? :rolleyes:

Went back and checked the film and it looks like the price on the Handbook was $3.00. That might help narrow it down somewhat assuming it's the current year handbook.

8. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that’s a 1956 Handbook.

WQ4G and W7UUU like this.
  9. W7UUU

Note the RIDICULOUS asking price in this ad!!! :eek::eek::eek:

upload_2021-4-18_13-40-18.png

WQ4G and N2EY like this.
  10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see any autos newer than '55 or '56.
    Some one with an SX-88 probably drove a fairly new car?

WQ4G, K3XR and W7UUU like this.