Help me choose an antenna tower!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by UT2UM, Jul 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. UT2UM

UT2UM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear friends!

I need your advice and your help.

I have a need to purchase a mast for my future antenna.
    Since I am in Ukraine, all that can be offered to me is either old military equipment or masts for telecommunications. But it doesn't suit me.

I have the opportunity to purchase everything I need in the USA. But! I don't know what to buy ;) It turned out that there are many manufacturers of antenna masts. And I was confused.

So, here's what I need:
    - several sections of the mast. I need a final height of about 12 meters.
    - steel base for the installation of the mast
    - a platform for installing a rotary device
    - platform for fixing the bearing
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

- fixation devices

Perhaps I missed something else.

I would be grateful for any advice and direct purchase links.

Best regards, Alex UT2UM

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The tower top in your illustration looks a lot like the top of my TX455:
    https://ustower.com/towerproducts/tx-455/

(ps, I got mine for free, but had to haul it about 800mi)

For bolt-together assembly, there is always RoHn

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  3. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

You may also want to consider an aluminum tower.

I've had one up for several decades and it suits my requirements very well. Mine includes the platform for a (HAM IV) rotator and can accommodate a thrust bearing also.

Much lighter in weight than steel...Obviously, you will need to determine if an aluminum construction meets your structural and wind loading requirements, etc.

I bought mine from: https://www.alumatower.com/

Hope this helps..

Cordially.

Bill

20+ WPM 1970's Extra

4. UT2UM

Thank you!
    I understand that this is a version of the tower with the lifting of the sections using a winch?

Most likely I need something like this video:
    In the video the Rohn 25G model tower?

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was in your part of the world some of those old Soviet military towers look pretty strong to me, I would be looking at that.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The U.S. Tower TX-455 referenced earlier does extend and retract using a winch and pre-assembled cables.

A similar but slightly lighter duty version is the Tashjian ("tashtowers") model WT-51. It's also a 3-section extendable tower that is winch operated.

The aluminum towers are surely lighter and there are many extendable, winch-operated models.

I'd think a lot of the "cost" buying in the U.S. and using in Ukraine would be "freight." If you know someone in the States that can arrange to have a tower delivered to a shipyard and have it loaded as sea freight, and you can arrange land delivery from nearest freighter seaport to your location, this will still be quite expensive. But at least it's possible.

I've shipped quite a lot of stuff by sea freight; they seem to care about "dimensions," but not too much about "weight."

7. UT2UM

I have a mast with a winch from a military radio station R-140.
    We use it for VHF field days.

Now I need a stationary mast.

I watched several videos on YouTube and ROHN 25G I like more and more.

An aluminum mast with a winch is the next step.
    At this point, I am almost ripe to buy ROHN 25 G.
    Delivery from the USA to Ukraine is not a problem. All taxes will be paid :)

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rohn 25G (and it's bigger brothers, the 45G and 55G) are extremely common and have been manufactured for several decades.

I'd think you should be able to buy them, or very similar tower sections made more locally, in EU.

9. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also look at the Rohn 45 and 55.

1) Easier to climb
    2) Can go higher without guy wires

For the plates, bearing, mast, and hardware DX Engineering carries just about everything.

A few general tips:

1) Whichever brand/model you go with read the installation instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.
    2) If buying anything used replace all the nuts and bolts with new. From the manufacturer.
    3) Put it together laying on the ground first and mark everything. Then dismantle and install. You don't want to get it halfway done and then find out you are missing one critical part that is on a 3 month backorder.

You didn't mention a rotator. If buying one I would recommend buying an Alfa Spid. They are quite rugged and the only part I've ever seen wear out is the motor, and they are readily available. If looking at that Italian worm drive rotator check be leery. It is a darn good design but they do have severe manufacturing/QA problems. And in the US the dealer does NOT honor the warranty.

Whatever equipment you buy spend some time researching installation and maintenance issues. You want to make sure you have everything you need upfront.

WA7F likes this.
  10. UT2UM

Alas, I have not found anything similar.
    In Europe there are several offers, but used and for cash.
    But this is a rare case when need to pay by bank transfer with taxes.

Louis, thanks a lot for the very helpful advice!

As for the turnover, we are developing a new model of a rotary device with a unique gearbox.
    The tower will serve as a "testing ground".