ad: chuckmartin

Help logging a QSO done with echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KG7OOM, Jul 7, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG7OOM

KG7OOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am relatively a new operator so bear with me as I am trying to learn the hobby...

I made a contact with KB2YMD via my Echolink app in my iPhone 6+ this morning. We "met" while connecting to TG8ARP-R station. After we said our good byes, I decided to start my ham log. Currently using a spreadsheet log created by K7SU.

I have no idea as to what to fill in for band, freq, mode, power and so on... Can this data that I seek be found in Echolink?

If you know of any sites that explain Echolink in super plain easy terms, please share it with me.

Thanks!

Rob

2. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

EchoLink is VoIP network that requires you to be an amateur operator to have an access account or create nodes, that's all.

- If you connected via a PC or phone, you did not use Part 97 licensed RF spectrum for the call (therefore, nothing to log, the RF was between the -R node and the person on the far end).
    - If you connected to a node via RF (usually an EchoLink enabled repeater), you used RF to connect to the repeater (you could log that you transmitted to a repeater)

Basically, there's no way to record VoIP, since it's not RF.

3. VA3BVM

VA3BVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Response from another newby: I use the QRZ log and do in fact log EchoLink QSOs as VOI for mode, inserting the repeater's frequency in that column. I see no issue logging the call regardless (as the QSO is being transmitted over a real repeater) - especially if you just want a record of who you connected with, or practice logging.

The reality is that I only have a 5w HT and only very rarely can connect over RF with anyone.

4. M0KLM

M0KLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what i find.
    in the QRZ.com logbook
    echolink = VOI = Voice over internet.
    Then insert the Freq that the RF was on in the Freq box
    Any other info, just type in the Comments Box at the bottom of the log ie Repeater name, node number, op's name, so & so on
    job done.
    Ps
    It's good to look back and see what stations you have worked in the past.
    and if you add a QSO into your logging program on the pc , the next time you work that same station, all this info will flag up on screen .
    (The more info the better)
    good luck
    Chow

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink is a great system using VoIP to connect to reapeaters all over the world. Some fell that this is not Ham Radio and fell threatened by the way the internet has made distance meaningless in communications. You can log any way you like and there are no regulations requiring logs. Dx contests will have very specific rules and do not allow Echolink contacts. It's a great hobby but has too many know it alls who feel their way to enjoy it is the only way to enjoy it.

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure if QRZ is using the ADIF specification and abbreviations, but if so then I believe VOI is assigned to the VOICE Digital Mode created by Patrick Lindecker (F6CTE) and detailed at http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/voice_en.htm. If so, then VOI does not stand for Voice over Internet and shouldn't be used for Echolink.

7. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can confirm that the VOI mode abbreviation is specified as a data mode, not "voice over internet".

To the best of my knowledge, there is no special ADIF spec or mode abbreviation for "Echolink".

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On the rare occasions when I log something from Echolink or any of the other VoIP modes, I use a mode designator that won't translate to anything else.

EchoLink contacts don't qualify for most awards or contests. However, there have been awards specifically offered for contacts made with EchoLink.
    Mostly, however, we just use EchoLink to have enjoyable QSOs either over the air or using PC or smart devices.

9. M0KLM

M0KLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry about the mix up, Damn. I'm ALWAYS wrong.
    (Specification and abbreviations has you like to call it Sir )
    Voice over IP (VoIP) is a methodology and group of technologies for the delivery of voice communications and multimedia sessions over Internet Protocol (IP) networks, such as the Internet. Other terms commonly associated withVoIP are IP telephony, Internet telephony, broadband telephony, and broadband phone service.

All above info is widely available on the web
    Have a nice day now.
    ps
    Thanks for the info

10. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't log Echolink QSOs. Not a direct rf-to
    RF contact.