Help identifying this old AM transmitter

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I totally see that now!! Good eye Jim

Dave
    W7UUU

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Front 1 matches Rear 1

Front 3 matches Rear 2 (top) and Rear 3 (bottom)

Front 4 matches Rear 4

Front 5 matches Rear 5

Front 6 matches Rear 6

Front 7 matches Rear 7

Front 8 matches Rear 8

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. N2EY

Thanks!

The whole thing appears to have been built out of whatever was at hand - a common practice in those days, given the price of new parts.

btw - read that 193os article about a kW into a pair of 852s, if you haven't already. It's.....from another time.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah I noticed that after I posted that. :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W7UUU

I will indeed make a point to do that.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. N2EY

It scared the beejeebus out of me the first time I read it. Still does.

Would YOU put your hand on the plate tuning knob of a transmitter, knowing that the only thing between you and 4500 volts was the insulation of the Bakelite knob?

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. W7UUU

Not just "no" but.... well, you know the rest of the line :) :eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

KI4AX and N2EY like this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with Jim, looks to me as if the bulder reused a panel from something else.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We used to ride into town standing up in the back of pickup trucks as kids...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. N2EY

Luxury.

I recall being about 6 or 7 years old and riding over the Walt Whitman Bridge at about 70 mph, sitting on the spare tire in the bed of my grampa's red-and-white Ford pickup truck - and all the way down to the Jersey shore - with a bunch of my cousins.

I've also seen what happens when something like that goes wrong. It's not pretty.