Help identifying this old AM transmitter

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Feb 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hold my beer."

2. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

And that's why I said "looks like a 450th". The Eimac tubes are more of a tear drop shape where the UX852 is round with extensions so I wasn't sure what it was.

I was wondering about the HRO too. Thought parts of it might be used as a VFO?

3. KA3JRT

KA3JRT Ham Member QRZ Page

The VFO and modulator were probably in another rack.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No comments yet on the RCA logo... just something he added for looks? Or part of some old RCA chassis?

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The RCA panel looks legit IMHO... countersunk screws, etc.

But, which 'rear' view goes with that 'front' view?

OH... almost forgot... that Lambda power supply you surely know is not homebrew... Lambda is something close to home, VERY close...

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's the big problem with the photos - which "front" goes with which "rear" I don't know. They weren't labeled other than that. The friend with the transmitter doesn't post here - but I can email him and ask if he can tell us which "rear" goes with the "front" that has the RCA logo

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked at 'em all again and I don't think there even is a rear view for every front view.

Most of them are easy to match up.

8. W7UUU

To be honest, I'm not all that vested in knowing :) I'm just doing this for a friend who doesn't post here and feed him any information. It sounds like he has a notion to try to resurrect something of it and sell it off whole. I see many many pitfalls and dangers there.

Were it me, I'd part it all out. There are lots of AM folks out there wanting big iron, big tubes, big meters, etc. But I don't see too many folks who would want to buy racks like these - much less have them crated for shipment.

But - not my choice to make. I'm just trying to help a friend out getting some info and he can decide what to do.

I've asked for the rear photo of the RCA chassis and I'm sure he'll come through.

Dave
    W7UUU

KJ4LCM likes this.
  9. W7UUU

Here's the back of the unit with the RCA logo on the front

Dave
    W7UUU

RCA Back.JPG

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's clearly a homebrew exciter - probably 6L6 or 6AG7 driving an 807. From right to left: cathode coil of Tri-Tet oscillator, 6AG7 or 6L6 octal socket (tube pinout will tell), oscillator plug-in coil, interstage shield, 807 socket, 807 plate coil (link coupled output).

73 de Jim, N2EY

WR2E and W7UUU like this.