ad: MyersEng-1

Help Identifying an antenna connector type

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC2DAN, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2DAN

KC2DAN QRZ Member

I'm a little lost as to what type of connector is on this radio. I have a friend that bought this marine band used and it did not come with the proper antenna. Humminbird would not answer my question as it is a discontinued radio.

For reference, it is a Humminbird VHF5 Marine HT

The diameter is just a hair over a normal coax cable diameter, and a coax won't fit on it.

Below are some photos of the connector itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. These forums are great, I'll have to stop lurking so much! =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's difficult to tell from the picture (a dimension would be helpful) but it may be a TNC. Those are roughly the size of a BNC (since it's a threaded version of a BNC).

Jerry, K4SAV

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. It would be helpful to have a precise diameter measurement!

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it might be a TNC too.

From the top I don't like the looks of the contact socket. It appears sprung open by a contact pin of a larger diameter than it should have been.

I hope I am wrong and it is an issue with the picture.

Mike

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll Bite

Amphenol APC series ?

6. AA4HA

AA4HA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that it does look like a TNC connector.

Here is a trick that not many folks know. You can push an N male connector onto a TNC or BNC female connection, the center assembly is the same. I use that trick to temporarily attach N cables to the front of an IFR service monitor in the field if I forgot my unidapt kit.

I had one "expert" decide that he was going to thread a '259 connector onto an N female connection. Somehow he did manage to do it but it completely screwed up both connections. He must have used a hammer and a wrench.

7. N5NPO

N5NPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitly a TNC. Fairly common in the non-ham world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.