Help identify tower

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by JISAKE1, Aug 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. JISAKE1

JISAKE1 QRZ Member

Greetings,
    I am needing help with identifying the mast manufacture in attachment. Require line of sight to obtain internet access and purchased a used 50ft telescoping mast. I know many advise to never use an old mast. Yet, this unit is in very solid in condition. No rust except the winch will need replaced. Plan to replace the winch. I am sharing some pictures in hopes someone can advise who made this mast? I live in a rural area, so have sufficient field to place away from structures.
    It is a 50 foot telescoping tower. What i can tell, based on design, no guy wires were ever used or needed. I need for WiFi to obtain line of sight.
    May put a Bidirectional UHF antenna on top as to avoid needing power. The LAVA ® HD8008 may be unit of choice?
    Any other information/thoughts that may apply is welcome.
    Thx!
    Ken

[​IMG]
    F3C7B334-0006-4ED9-B195-C859175405C3.jpeg F3C7B334-0006-4ED9-B195-C859175405C3.jpeg

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see the tower, but do see two images of what appears to be about a 70 year-old AM broadcast radio...

3. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not know the manufacturer, as there were so many, years ago.
    The only thing I can suggest is look at old ads online for tower companies with tilt over crank up towers.
    Or hope someone remembers!

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ken,
    This is a TV antenna tower design (1950-early 1970s), that was largely discontinued 50 years ago. Majority of the manufacturers, from that era, are gone OR no longer offer Antenna Towers.
    ** Looks like an Old American Tower Design **
    Spaulding in Richmond, IN (farm equipment mfg.) also made a tower like this (#6) in 1950s.
    Rohn bought out company in 1960s.

Notice those 90° stamped cross-braces to the 3 main tower tubes? That is an inferior cross-brace method (tower can not tolerate torsional forces — twisting — especially with large Wind Load antennas. It was built as a cheap solution for residential TV Craze in the 1950s and 1960s (B&W, then Color).
    Rohn Tower’s “Z-bracing” for its 20/25 series galvanized tower (introduced in mid-1950s), using the superior Z brace, became the standard industry method.
    ==
    Wireless Internet Access for Rural Areas (1995-2005) revived production for a couple of longtime manufacturers.

American Tower Company
    5085 State Route 39 West
    Shelby, OH 44875
    https://amertower.com/
    Telephone: +1 419-963-3253
    FAX: +1 419-347-1654
    e-Mail: info@amertower.com
    Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Eastern Time.

Amerite towers: several models)
    https://amertower.com/products/

Special Communications Tower

Amerite Tower’s Special Series Communication Towers are a high quality, low cost tower that is a customer favorite among residential antenna tower and ham radio tower users. Available in either 5-step or 6-step 10’ sections. Only designed to be house bracketed OR guyed.
    https://amertower.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Amerite_special_tower_detail.pdf
    =====
    Denny’s TV Antenna Service
    http://dennysantennaservice.com/
    3758 W. Washington Rd.
    Ithaca, MI 48847 [​IMG]
    Telephone: +1 989 875 4902[​IMG]
    e-Mail: dithaca@msn.com

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Possibly an old Triex (sp?) tower. They are now Tashjian Tower.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

No.
    The tower in the photo does not have the "Z" or "K" cross-bracing, found with current production of Tashjian Towers as well as many designs by Louis V Tristao, KG6VY, (sk, September 2001), "father of the crank up antenna tower”.
    Tristao did make a Crank Up Guyed Tower (CTL), that was discontinued after CB Craze.

Due to the lack of that Z or K-style of bracing -- this tower can not handle large antennas (long booms, large wind profile) due to torsional forces (twisting).

The Tristao CTL 100 and 300 models Crank-Up, Guyed Towers used 20 or 10 foot sections.
    Starts at Page 12 of the 1976 Catalog.

1976 Tristao Antenna Tower Catalog is Attached.

Attached Files:

7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Never never never EVER stick your hand/foot through the cross braces when the tower is up - it's a guillotine just looking for fresh meat.
    Should work for what you want for holding up a tiny wifi antenna.
    Your biggest liability will be neighborhood kids.
    If the code inspector sees it he will insist on a shield around the tower up to 8 feet (roughly)

WR2E likes this.
  8. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From an earlier question on this topic.

Here is the quote:

"This is a response I got a few weeks ago from Karl.

That is an older Tri Ex Tower T 237. We don’t support those older models as they do not meet today’s building code for safety. The tower was originally designed for guying off at the top and either a wall bracket or another guy at 20’. As the tower does not have diagonal bracing, I cant recommend using it. There were safety stops to take load off the lift cable. You should not have a problem with a two section tower but the bigger towers were not real safe to crank up, cabling is different today.

Respectfully

Karl K. Tashjian
    Tashjian Towers Corporation"

I used to own one that looks like the tower in this post.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, now that I can see the brief video, that looks like an aluminum (not galvanized steel) tower to me.

Aluma and Heights have been the two major "extendable aluminum tower for hams" companies for a long time.

How much does it weigh? Will a magnet stick to it?

KL7SG likes this.
  10. JISAKE1

JISAKE1 QRZ Member

First would like to say thanks to everyone that has replied. The tower is not aluminum as inquired. As for the sections, they are 20ft Each and overall height is 50ft.
    Appreciate the advice to add shielding. I live in a rural area and tower will be in an open area with no structures within 60 ft. This tower was owned by ham operator. So am trusting a RW5000 with no rotor will be Ok. They weigh about 8lbs.
    Understand I am needing it to access wireless G5. The 40 ft pole a neighbor installed is not an option.
    W9GB -the pdf is very helpful. Thanks again for your thoughts.
    The radio is my dads. That was a portable radio in 1944. :)