Hello I am new here

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by HHARVEY, Sep 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you make it to the local hamfest? I always have fun going and looking at all the stuff even if I don't buy anything.

2. W0BBL

W0BBL Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both the IC 2730A and the TMV71A. I would go with the TMV71A between the two. It has more features, quality seems better and you don't need to spend an additional $60 to mount it. The ICOM comes with no hardware and they charge over $30 for each bracket ( you'll need one for the radio and one for the head, which doesn't even mount to the radio without a $30 bracket).

3. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

I am thinking about a Wouxun KG-UV9D. It is cheap and a few good reviews. Life has kicked in so my budget has decreased a little until next year.

4. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

I did go to a hamfest that was about 25 miles from me. While there I took the test for General and then they talked me into trying the Extra. I passed the General but the Extra was a little more than what I was prepared for so I did not do well on it. It was the first year for this hamfest so it was a little small, but they have a great presentation on antennas. I did see a lot of things I thought I wanted but being new to ham I could not tell the difference between a bargain or over priced item so I held off

KC5AKB and AI2SS like this.
  5. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice!! Sounds like you're off to a good start so far. Life always seems to kick in at the wrong time, lol. Work with your budget and you'll start finding deals as you learn more about all this stuff. ;)

6. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the Gen Class

7. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Thanks

8. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

So I purchased a Kenwood TH-F6A