ad: M2Ant-1

Hello I am new here

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by HHARVEY, Sep 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Thank you

2. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations! You've taken the first step down a very interesting road.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on passing the test! Now, get on the air!

4. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Thanks

5. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Thank you. I don't see my name in the FCC database yet so I am not on the air yet. I have not purchased a radio yet either.
    I am studying for the general also. I think I would like to explore HF. I seem to have a interest in the vintage radios and I like to tinker and fix things.

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your license !

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats..get your general and forget about the IC-2730A. If you like to tinker and fix there's a big world out there for you.

8. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Woohoo I just passed the General test this morning. I still haven't decided on my first radio yet.

W4KSL, KD8DEY and KV6O like this.
  9. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on your test. I passed my tech in June then the General in August. I researched a ton of radios before I bought my first one, which ended up being a 2 meter mobile (yeasu 2900) and a 10 meter mobile (Radio shack htx-10). Love them both. 10 meters is kind of dead right now but you can still make an occasional contact now and then. I originally bought a president Lincoln ll 10 meter radio when I purchased my yaesu 2900 but the more I learned the radios functions I found out it's really NOT an amateur radio by most hams standards. It has Roger beep and 2 channel display echo etc. With a little further research on this forum and after reading post on "export radios" also on this forum I retired the Lincoln ll and started looking once again. Here's what I found: The two radio's that all hams seem to agree on and except as a "legitimate" ham radio is the radio shack htx-10 and htx-100. Only one problem though... No longer in production by many moons. I was lucky, after stalking e-bay for a few weeks I finally grabbed a new old stock HTX-10. So far it's been great. I was a little disappointed in the quality of the build of the unit but hey it's politically correct and does work really well. Just food for thought from another new ham.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  10. KE4WIR

KE4WIR Ham Member

I find that the reviews online and (usually) AMZN provide insight for identifying capabilities that are desired / required. If you are new, then you might want to consider the inexpensive HT radios from BaoFeng on AMZN and then upgrade if you need more.