Hello I am new here

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by HHARVEY, Sep 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

I am studying for the technician test. I have also been researching my first radio.
    I like the IC-2730A. This is at the top end of my budget. I have watch a few review videos and I have downloaded the literature and manual from the I-Com web site.
    Is there any reason I should abandon this radio and start looking and something else.
    -HH (no call sign yet)

2. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't say much about the radio, but good luck with your test! There's a lot of fun times ahead and you'll wind up making some good friends.

3. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

Thanks. I think I am ready to take the test. I have been getting 85s and higher on the online test, but I want to get make sure I know why an answer is correct not just what is the correct answer.

4. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a great attitude and will certainly help when you get on the air. :)

5. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck on your upcoming test! If there's a local hamfest in your area in the near future, you might go there and try some radios to see how you like them.

6. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

That is a good ideal. The next hamfest near me is not until the end of October. If I pass my test on the 19th I would have to wait awhile if I go with that. Maybe I should buy one of the very cheap handhelds and do more research before I buy my first good rig.

7. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't go wrong doing that. Just get on the air. :)

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just read the reviews on this rig on eHam.net, and I think I would avoid the IC2730a. I used to own it's predecessor, the IC2720, and
    it was a dog that howled in the night! It was loaded with problems, chief among them terrible intermod performance. Oh, you could improve it by crippling half of the function on the radio, but that was about it. I ended up buying an outboard filter for $100 that fixed the
    problem pretty well, but without it, the rig was useless here, where there are lots of high powered paging transmitters. Sorry ICOM, but
    I think the design team that does your VHF gear is totally missing the mark on most of your products today. I've been an ICOM partisan since you were known as Inoue Communications, but I'm really not impressed with what you are doing now. Boooooo!

You can get an FT8800 or a TM-V71a for less than the price of this thing. Indeed, there's a sale on the FTM400DR right now,
    bringing that rig into this price class, and I think the 400 is not perfect, but it's twice the rig this thing is.

9. HHARVEY

HHARVEY QRZ Member

I passed the tech test today. I didn't try the general.

10. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on passing your test