Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by 2W0OTK, Oct 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2W0OTK

2W0OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello!

I thought I should introduce myself. I'm from Wales, in the UK. I passed my intermediate exam last year - which allows me up to 50W. I've always had a goal of doing CW on HF and to that end I started a morse course last week at my local club. It's going well - reading A-H, & T at 7wpm already!

I have a 70cm monoband rig in the car, but unless I want to use relays there's nobody around on air - at least on that band.

In my teens (1980s) I had a Saturday job in a CB radio shop, so I picked up some skills - making PL-259 cables by the dozen, and so on. Lately I got into motorsport and looked into amateur radio for car-car or car-track communication, which took me to my local amateur radio club (BARS, GW6GW) and there into the wide world of amateur radio.

Jayne.

W5MQC, N6QIC, ZS5YH and 3 others like this.
  2. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jayne,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of radio! I'm something of a newbie here myself - just passed my US exams last year so that I could claim a French call sign and get started. (DH has been a ham as long as I've known him.)

There are so many different things you can do with amateur radio. My visit to the UK for the BYLARA international YL conference just impressed me yet again with all the many possibilities. You may want to look into BYLARA as a way to connect with other YLs in the UK (and beyond). And, there is another international conference coming up next year in Sweden by the Scandinavian YL group.

N6QIC, MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  3. 2W0OTK

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually trying to join BYLARA at the moment, but having trouble getting in touch with them.

MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  4. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    N6QIC and MI0YLT like this.
  5. 2W0OTK

Thanks Loren!

I've received a reply from BYLARA now. :)

MI0YLT and KC9ZHV like this.
  6. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know exactly what happens when you Join BYLARA but i can tell you when i joined the YLRL we get a book every so often with wonderful stories in their! All types of things that the members are up to etc.. I think that's really cool as far as nets are concerned I don't know any information on that.. But I imagine that if your in contact some one will help guide ya through at least i hope that some one will guide ya through I know for us in our ylrl books they have a list of nets but its often hard to hear anything on the hf side of things..

M0HZT, N6QIC, MI0YLT and 1 other person like this.
  7. W5MQC

W5MQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations and welcome!

MI0YLT, N6QIC, 2W0OTK and 1 other person like this.
  8. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jayne
    Enjoyed reading about how you got into hobby
    Hope to talk with you on air
    Remeber "keep her lit" hi hi

N6QIC, 2W0OTK and KC9ZHV like this.
  9. 2W0OTK

Thanks!

With a new job starting next month, an HF set is nearer my grasp and I'll hopefully be on air quite soon. I just have to persuade my next-door neighbour about a 40m inverted-V - both about its existence and about him going up the ladder to install it. :)

N6QIC, KC9ZHV and MI0YLT like this.
  10. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it, like your style lol:)

N6QIC and KC9ZHV like this.