Hello de KI5AUE!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KI5JYD, Jul 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KI5JYD

KI5JYD New Member QRZ Page

Hey y'all!

New ham here... I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to take a few minutes to introduce myself.

I was interested in the amateur radio hobby since I was a kid. I'm 41 now and just got my ticket.

For most kids of the 80s, I was one of them, their toy store was Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys and the like. My toy store was Radio Shack. I was mostly interested in the computer portion of the store, after all, I had a TRS-80 Color Computer. Somehow, in one part of the store, there was a transceiver on the shelf. I thought it was a scanner. But no, the salesperson said, it's a ham radio. Ham radio? What is that?

I was told I needed to get a license from the FCC to talk on it. I would also need to learn Morse Code. It discouraged me at first.

For a few years, off and on, I toyed with the idea of getting my ticket.

And then I said, to put it in the terminology the young ones use, YOLO. (You Only Live Once.) I turned 40 last year, and the idea was rebooted this year, after my 41st birthday.

I took the test in early June this year, but failed by missing 11 questions. I didn't let that discourage me. I studied like mad for the next few weeks, bought a book by K4IA off Amazon, which helped me immensely. I even downloaded an app from Google Play that was, in my perspective, supplemental to the book I have. (It's called "HamRadioExam - Technician" and it's by Roy Watson.) It was my secret sauce to pass. I didn't just merely memorize the answers, I actually practiced the theory behind the question.

So, on the 28th of June, I had enough confidence to take the test again, and my roommate decided to help me and we Elmer each other, and we took the test at K5COW, Cowtown Amateur Radio Club here in Fort Worth, and we both passed.

I look forward to hearing from you all, whether it be here on the Zed or on the air. Friendly bunch of people, and I am grateful for this.

73, KI5AUE

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations, and welcome to hobby. I hope you and your buddy have lots of success.

KI5JYD likes this.
  3. KI5JYD

KI5JYD New Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I harbor a belief that learning is a lifetime process, it doesn't end when the school doors close on you; and the world is your classroom.

AG5CK likes this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been doing this for 53 years, and I learn something new almost every day!