Heil Pro 7 and HC47 element

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

DX is my main interest, but I also work some NVIS. I was wanting to hear the advantages/disadvantages of going with the Heil HC74 element, over the other choices.

My radio is actually an Icom 7300, but I told Bob I am interested in that DX sound, so he said I should go with the HC74 -- not the Icom IC mic element, or the HC7.

I was listening to a few videos of the HC74 and the HC7, but the HC7 video was recorded over WEBSDR, which tends to be a less than stellar way to hear the real sound, as other ops hear it (too tinny). I have found nothing recorded of the IC element, which appears to have a very different sound than the others -- just based on specs and charts, and I don't want to go with something I have never heard.

Anyone here have comments pro/con for different elements? At this moment, I want to go with the HC74 as my only element, but it appears that I can only purchase it as an add-on to the original headset? Or is the HC74 very similar to the HC7, and not much need to bother?

I am kind if surprised that there aren't real-world examples of these mics on the Heil website, as heard over a radio. Or maybe I am missing something.

2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a Heil fan, that's no secret.
    The days are now long gone, where we need to buy a microphone with a particular frequency response.
    (Heil would have you believe otherwise, for obvious reasons)
    You have the ability to emulate almost any microphone response with the tone controls and selection of TX bandwidths which your radio possesses already.

My personal opinion is that "good, balanced audio" is best under all circumstances. The conventional, narrow "DX audio" performs no better (and probably worse) under weak signal/QRM conditions.

Frank, g0gsr

K9ASE likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

Much of my reasoning is also for noise isolation, but with Electret mics these days, I get your point.

4. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

My personal opinion is that "good, balanced audio" is best under all circumstances. The conventional, narrow "DX audio" performs no better (and probably worse) under weak signal/QRM conditions.

One of the best comments on the audio forum in a very long time. Thank you Frank!

5. KE0EYJ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I also agree whole heartedly with Frank. There might be a dB or so of differance in readability under certain conditions, but as he says, if you feel the need, you can do it "on the radio".

Still, at a hundred and twenty bucks, its not all that cheap for a $30 item. Let us know what you think after your evaluation.

I bought Bob's pro7 so my big deaf ears could get covered. Nice product, good quality but real
    pricey.

[​IMG]
    Mike

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017