ad: vanity

Heil Headset Problem

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N9OR, Sep 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9OR

N9OR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased the iCom IC-7100 new, from GigaParts, six months ago. Because I have recently heard good things about the Heil Pro Set IC, I ordered them (and the Heil AD-1-iCM adapter) from GigaParts two weeks ago.

When I connected the headphones, only the left channel worked. The right side was silent. My first step at troubleshooting was to connect my son's gaming headset to the radio. Both sides worked. The only difference I see in the plugs is that my son's has the mic channel on the same jack where the Heil headset uses a different jack for the mic.

[​IMG]

I contacted Bob Heil, explained the situation, and he sent out a new headset for me. When it arrived, again, no sound on the right side!

I find it almost impossible to believe that I received two, back-to-back, defective Heil headsets...both having the exact same problem. Can anyone offer up what else might be causing this problem?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. N2SMX

N2SMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

I do not have an answer but will follow this thread with great interest.
    I bought a new Pro7 a year or so ago, that was stored on arrival, and only unpacked just recently - the right side sound/volume is very very weak.
    Sure did not expect that from Heil...

Bill

3. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,

You are connecting the headphones to the headphones jack on the IC-7100, right?
    The 1/8" jack on the Heil AD-1-iCM adapter is for the microphone plug.
    The 1/4" jack is for a PTT switch.

[​IMG]
    Edit: Actually, I should have re-read your posting, as you said you DID connect to the
    radio. I accidentally connected my headphones to the mic jack, :rolleyes: so thought I'd point
    that out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  4. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

there is a switch on the IC-7100 control head that is 'speaker - phones.' If it is set to speaker, then it is mono. If it is set to phones, it is stereo.

copied from your other post and answered by W4EAE

5. N9OR

N9OR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you both. Right now, I feel like a dope :confused:. While I did have the headset connected correctly, I had no idea of the switch that SA4MDN mentioned. All is well. Thank you again.

Tom