ad: CQMM-1

Heil Ham Radio Microphone Review & Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, May 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I was joking. I hate having to run my receive filter at 2.1 just to understand Muddy the DJ.

K5KNM likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing wrong with a review of one vendor's similar products. If you want a comparison with other sellers, do one.

ElectroVoice has the RE20, and the EV666 for great broadcast mics. I used the 666 many times. In AM the Altec 639B was king in the 60's with the RCA 44. I used a Turner 500 dynamic at one station and loved it. I have 4 of them here. Ribbon mics will work on amateur radio but need a preamp. They are also very bassy.

In ham condenser/electrit microphones, it's like a monkey getting frisky with a football. The cheapest condenser mic is as good as the most expensive if you compare response. My BEST audio reports are using my chi-nee $9.69 medium diaphragm size microphone on Icom. People think I am joking when they find out where the audio is coming from. Put a windscreen over this ugly sucker and enjoy the best $10 you ever spent on your Icom.

s-l400.jpg

The BEST all around "can't go wrong" dynamic microphone for amateur radio (except Icom) is the Heil PR781. Period. Audiophools can argue successfully that there are better microphones but for Joe Ham who don't know dooky about audio, they can't go wrong with the 781.

K9PLG likes this.
  3. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so on some of what you said.

I run the AEA R-84 ribbon mic. This mic is modeled after the RCA 77. These models have a less heavy bass response compared to the RCA 44. I do roll off some of the bass responce below 300 Hz and gently boost the mids between 700Hz to 2.8 KHz before sloping back down. This is done with my TS590s on board EQ in the Kenwood ARCP rig control software.

This is a beautiful mic and is pure and clear sounding as what ribbon mics are known for.

As for preamps, most radio's have enough of a gain stage to adequately handle these mics without a preamp. Unless you go thru the radio's ACC connector, you are double preamping.

I should mention unless you know for certain, NEVER use Phantom power on a ribbon mic unless it requires it. Most of them don't.

If you do use ribbon mics, I highly suggest looking into the Cloud CL-Z mic activator. This device is specifically recommended for ribbon mics ( dynamics too) that let's you load up the mics input impedance up to 15K which will really open up the mics sound more than any EQ can. The mics output impedance remains the same.

It also will boost the mic level to your radio even though it isn't truly a preamp. It also has a lowcut filter.

It does require Phantom power though, I just use an external Phantom power supply box.

You can see my setup on QRZ.

http://cloudmicrophones.com/products/cloudlifter-cl-z/

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

ROFL. I am a simple ex-BC engineer, not a certified voo doo priest. Here's the guy in charge of certifying your audio setup...

My Makeup.jpg

He's holding the "Cloud Lifter" on a steeek in his right hand.

5. K5KNM

I tried given you the benefit of the doubt but to no avail. Once a troll always a troll!

cf8fd3b7344ec20110bb89e411676eac.jpg

KR3DX, KY5U and KA0HCP like this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhh, someone who pokes fun at you is a troll? I posted a simple message for regular hams. You chose to show me your vast microphone knowledge even though I said specifically the info was for non-audiophools. Don't worry, I bow to your superior intellect, driver. :p

7. K5KNM

How about that!

You being a B/C Engineer and me being a driver, You were wrong about ribbon mics and you can't handle it so you troll baited by posting a derogatory pic in an vacuous attempt to make fun of me as you just admitted to.

Time to put you on the ignore button, Have a good day!

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

My gosh man, you are hung up about this aren't you? I never said you were wrong about your mic, I was laughing at your insecurity and making fun of that as a trait of many amateurs. PLEASE put me on ignore. Thank you.

K4XJ likes this.
  9. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this news?

There's a reviews section further down, although I'm not sure if it's meant for paid/sponsored content.

I'll see myself out...

KD5BVX likes this.
  10. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I spoke with Bob about 7-8 yrs. ago asking for advise on one for my brand new then FTDX-500MP to replace the MD-200 I had bought for it. I also wanted one for the IC-7700 I had at the time for SO2R use. I had planned on purchasing a PR-40 when I called them but a salesperson said Bob was in and I could talk to him if I wanted, that turned out to be a very good idea.

He told me the PR-40 was overkill for AR use and that the PR-781 had been developed for just for that in fact for the IC-77/7800 series of high end radios. It turned out to be the best value for a mic that I have owned and much cheaper than a PR-40.

Over the last 7-8 yrs. I have used it on several radios that I have owned the Yaesu FTDX-5000/9000/1000MP, FT-847, an IC-7700/9100 then on a set of Elecraft K3's . The 781 has worked very well with all of them after setup with each and when I receive good audio reports I think that Bob is who I owe for them.

Thanks to Bob Heil for all of his fine line of gear and improvements to our hobby, and wish him well in his retirement here in SW, MO.

W5KV likes this.
  11. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback everyone, apologize for the hiss, I'm working those issues out, I think it was just a line level issue between my mixer & the camera - I think in the future i'll have to resort to recording audio separately and syncing the audio up with Audacity especially for reviews like this where the audio is obviously very important!

12. AD6R

AD6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I think someone should review the best kept secret in "Micdom" -- the MXL BCD-1 Live Broadcast Dynamic Microphone. I am using mine on my Kenwood, but have talked to many Hams for whom it is their newest choice. Take a look if you have the time.

13. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Back on subject with all features turned off on the radio the PR-781 sounded better to me. I run a Heil ICM on my ICOM 746 Pro and get great audio reports. They say it sounds close to talking to me in real life and you can't beat that. I have had Shure and Turner microphones and like the Heil with the boom and the foot switch. For the money I think Heil is a very good choice but not the only choice out there. Good luck. Thanks for the reviews. I think I might spring for a 781 to see if I get any improvement on the ICom.

SQ3U and W5KV like this.
  14. K4VW

K4VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review. I use a GM-5 but would love to have a 781. 73's and TKS. de Jim, k4vw