ad: w5yi

Heil Classic Pro thingamajig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8SQB, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Helping clean out and catalog the shack of a SK. His XYL showed me a microphone she found. It's one of these jobbies, the retro RCA 44 look. Has a square push bottom on the back, slide switch on the bottom and a toggle switch on the back (Wide/Narrow) Small round sticker on the bottom proclaims HC 5.

Removing the sole screw holding it together (one got away at some point.) reveals an HC 5 element dangling from the decomposing remains of a rubber support (I have some MIL SPEC stuff I can re-rig that with, no problem there. Below it is a Heil Pro element.

About an hour's research yielded results of some people love them and some hate them, but rebuild/replace the elements to their heart's content, because nothing says HAM RADIO like a big ol' shiny mike which weighs a few pounds sitting on a desk.

Looked at Heil support for a brochure, instructions, schematic, anything yields zilch nada. If anyone can please direct me to some operational guide I would appreciate greatly.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Call Heil. They have friendly customer service and can get you the right parts. If you don't want to DIY, they offer "Heil Hospital" repairs for mics and headsets.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like HCP says, call ol' K9EID. He can probably even help with an errant thingamjig... :eek:

4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Heil Classic Pro Microphone:
    Specifications:
    Generating Element: Dynamic
    Body: Mate Steel body is die cast zinc
    Frequency Response: 40Hz. to 18,000 Hz.
    Impedance: 600 ohms balanced
    Connections: Pin 1 Shield ground, Pin 2 + , Pin 3 - 'Heilwire'
    Output Level: -55dB @ 1,000 Hz.
    Polar Pattern: Cardioid, uniform front to back discrimination
    Diaphragm: Large diameter low-mass aluminum
    Net Weight: 6 lbs. on supplied cast steel base.

Heil Classic Microphone:
    Dual Element Studio Microphone
    TODAY’S STUDIO SOUND In the CLASSIC LOOK OF THE ‘30s
    •Dual Microphone elements
    • Back panel switch selects the new Heil "PRO LINE" broadcast element (50 - 18kHz) or the tailored response of either the HC 4, HC-5 or the Heil 'iC' (ICOM ONLY) high performance electret element
    • Beautiful Audio response without proximity effect
    • 'Soft Touch' PTT back panel switch
    • All Classic models are switchable Hi or Low impedance.
    • Your call letters mount on either side of the dual sided name flag
    • The 5 ft 4 pin XLR terminates into our CC-1 cable system
    • Removable base for inverted PL-2 boom mounting
    • Removable base and Heil logo that can be easily inverted for hanging on the Heil PL-2 PROLINE boom mounting
    • An exact replica of a 1930 RCA 74B broadcast microphone
    (no plastic copy here, folks !)

[​IMG]